A good cheap plotter

pierce8468

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Litespeeds

I was just about to invest in a Roland 40" plotter with their tint/vinyl/ppf software for $5,595. That is alot of money and my thoughts are you usually get what you pay for. It is so hard to justify spending $3,795 on a plotter when you can find one for only $343.86 plus $89.99 shipping which also includes a 1 year vinyl program.

Since I have 2 shops, I just might listen to Pierce8468 and buy this one first to see if my guys and I like using this. If it works out and I feel I need a better plotter in the future, I will buy the Roland and then I'll have one plotter at each shop. Worse case scenario, I can bring this home and have my kids play with it and make stickers. Thanks for the tip. I owe you big time. :ninja

Is the oracal a 6 yr vinyl? Even if so you can use the low tack with it, but you will more often then not need to use some heat to get it off the backing paper. If your just going to be doing a little bit of vinyl here nad there no big deal. If your going to make a sign or something. Then save yourself the agg and buy some high tack.

Lite Worse case scenario you have an extra plotter later on if you deciede to go out and buy better. Then if you deceide your not into the whole plotter deal. Your only out a few hundred bucks and not thousands. Also why yes you do get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay for what you dont need!

Guest darkdan

Wow, it's loud!

Took a little time to set it up.

The instructions to build the stand are in Engrish and you have one picture to go by that looks like it was a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of a picture taken with an old cell phone.

I can't get it to work with USB right now. Currently running on a serial port, but the important thing...it's running!

Low tack, high tack are now both in stock. I've got red, white, and black vinyl. Oh yeah baby, I'm ready to take on the world!

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to get it to cut PPF or tint. Any suggestions on force or anything?

Just stick with the serial port. No sence wasting time to have no advantage. Yes it is loud, but hey it works right. Keep the speed down around 12, anything higher then that and it kind of studders on the cut. (it is just a cheap plotter, but no real need to have it cut super fast anyway) Vinyl force I would start off around 70 and then go from there. take it up or down depending on how the cut comes out.

Did you get a tint blade? You cant use the same blade for tint and vinyl.

Also rub your thumb along the rear strip, and make sure it is lying completly flat. if it is raised in any spot it will give you an uneven cut. That you definatly don't want! Also the blade holder goes into the rear slot. The front slot is for the pen that came with it. you can use that to draw with the plotter, if you ever have a need for that. Who knows maybe your an architec part time :lol

I will send you my # in a pm so you can call me if you have any trouble :cold

Guest darkdan

Yes, I got the 30 degree blade and 60 degree blade laying around.

Oops, it's the in front hole (HA! I've never said that before) so I better move the blade.

I wasn't sure if the USB performed better than serial.

You got a 50 incher huh..?? :cold:cold

That will come in handy for sure...

The majority of the sign shops around here only have 24's..... :lol

With the exception of the real big outfits...

I have a 30in. and I cut stuff for a few sign places regularly, just cause they don't want to splice certain stuff..... :cold

What are you giving for a roll?? :cold

I usually buy mine in 10yd rolls, about 21.00 for the regular colors... Oracal 651.. :lol

Guest darkdan

I got a 30" roll of white 751 just in case someone needed a BIG logo put on their window. Otherwise, I have a 12" roll of black that I've been using for matrix. Then just a small 8" roll of red 651 to do a few 3M logos.

I'm a signwarehouse.com kind of guy.

I decided to get as big of a plotter so I could for those "just in case" moments. Plus cutting PPF for an RV will come in handy.

Guest darkdan

I gave up on it. Working is working.

You have the option of using serial ports, usb, or printer port. I went serial because the cable they provided was longer.

I did learn an important lesson....the reason I wasn't getting good clean weeding from the "notches" was because the cutting strip was covered in masking tape. Heck, it's my first plotter so I thought it was supposed to be like that!

I gave up on it. Working is working.

You have the option of using serial ports, usb, or printer port. I went serial because the cable they provided was longer.

I did learn an important lesson....the reason I wasn't getting good clean weeding from the "notches" was because the cutting strip was covered in masking tape. Heck, it's my first plotter so I thought it was supposed to be like that!

Check all your settings in you production manager, if your offsets aren't set right, you'll get little half moon notches in your work....

Archived