Vista 70

Guest tintquestion2

Guest tintquestion2

I recently had Vista 70 installed on my South windows because I was told it would be "clear." I had been very concerned that any tint might look blue (or any other color except taupe/cream) from the exterior and was told this would solve my problem.

To my horror, the windows now look green-yellow from the exterior. Is this a common problem and what do you suggest I do?

Guest VOLTRON

Well if it is something that you cannot live with then you need to talk to the dealer that installed the film. Call him and tell him that you have some concerns about the color of the film.

Did you ever see a sample of the film before it was installed?

If so it is hard to say what the next step would be in getting it fixed. However most dealers will work with you to a degree.

If you never saw a sample of the film and the dealer just installed the film well then you might have a little more ground to walk on, for the dealer sold you the film with you having a different understanding about the color. And there is a difference, something can be clear and have some color to it aswell.

Just call the dealer and talk to him about it, no need to fly off the handle and get irate about anything, not saying that you are going to do that but you will get alot farther handling it in a civilized manner.

Guest vclimber
I recently had Vista 70 installed on my South windows because I was told it would be "clear." I had been very concerned that any tint might look blue (or any other color except taupe/cream) from the exterior and was told this would solve my problem.

To my horror, the windows now look green-yellow from the exterior. Is this a common problem and what do you suggest I do?

Vista VS 70 is a 70% VLT film which is technically NOT clear. 84-85% VLT is where the eyes discerns things as clear. If the VS 70 is installed on windows with blinds or shutters that are white then your are really going to notice the yellowish green more so than on a window without blinds. It is always a good idea to pay to get a sample window done kind of like buying a quart of paint before commiting to the color...

You should have been given a sample of the film when the estimate was given. I have not seen a sample of that film for some time, bit if I remember correctly it has a greenish color.

When I talk to my potential clients and they say "clear", I picture something not opaque. But, they are thinking of something once installed, you cannot see any of it.

What type of glass was this film installed? I assume IG units, but are they clear, low-e, etc?

If they are low-e pretty much any film will create that greenish color especially from the outside.

What problem were you trying to solve?

The term "clear" you are using, were you expecting no change at all? For solar control that is impossible. Solar control films have to block some light in order to reduce heat.

Like the above post said, can youlive with it?

Guest tintquestion2

Unfortunately, I cannot live with the green. I have talked to the installer and he was disinclined to do anything, saying "You chose the color." However, I agreed to Vista 70 because, after much back and forth because I did not want a blue color and he could not suggest an earth tone, he said that although it was pretty much twice the price, Vista 70 would be clear and therefore solve my problem. If I saw a sample, I only glanced at it and certainly he did not give me one. I relied on his statement totally. If a color had been involved I would have certainly tested it on a window. I will continue to work with him, but need to decide where to go for a new product.

The film is on the inside of single pane, very old windows (the storm windows for these mount inside the house.)

My goal was to cut heat and protect fabric. Glare is not an issue. The exterior of my house is very important to me. The windows could have a slight taupe/cream/earth tone tint, but no other color. I do not like the mirror effect. I have off white drapes and do not want them to look bad.

Is there a Vista product that would meet my needs, or do I need to go to another company?

Guest vclimber

There are three main contributors to sun damage:

UV

Heat

Visible Light

All Vista films will reject the UV by 99.9%, if you want to reduce more sun damage than just what is caused by the UV then you have to use a product that will reject heat which will inevitably be 70% VLT or darker in oder to do so. This means that there will be some color. Here's my take on the lightest heat rejectors:

Vista VS 70 - Greenish Yellow

V-Kool 70 - Greenish

Vista VS 60 - More grey with a hint of blue

Huper SECH - About the same as VS 60 maybe a little more neutral grey though

Hilite 70 - Greenish but I haven't seen a piece since it was re-released so it could've changed.

Prestige 70 - Blue

Guest tintquestion2

Thanks.

I saw something about V40e that came out April 1, 2006, that "has a more earthtone appearance". Do you know anything about it?

Guest vclimber
Thanks.

I saw something about V40e that came out April 1, 2006, that "has a more earthtone appearance". Do you know anything about it?

That is a 40% Ceramic which is much darker than a 70% VLT film. Nice looking film that will reject around 55% of the Total Solar Energy and 99.9% UV but it does have a brownish earthtone look.

Archived