The Most Advanced Tinting Platform On The Planet....

Guest Deep

Guest Deep

For years I have struggled with having a peel board that will work in shop and mobile, because I do both. Wooden roll arounds are ok for in shop, but not really practical for mobile work. Usually to big, too heavy. cumbersome. I also always wanted something that would hold everything that I need, tool wise, spray bottles, squeegees, heat gun, etc., but having this all on one platform is rather problematic working with conventional materials.

I had been thinking of using PVC for a long time, but really never got around to experimenting with it as a base for a workable platform until this last winter when I had time to devote to building a workable model. I really have a ton of time into this project, alot of trial and error, undoing what doesn't work or was not practical and just working on it as new ideas popped into my head. I have at least 100 hours just in the development phase, and probably 30 hours in the actual construction, time. It really took more time thatn I ever imagined to finish it, but I finally got it done and I couldnt be happier with the results and the workability of the platform. 3 inch pipe and fittings was used, anything smaller in diameter will not work. It is not rigid enough, trust me on this.

Try not to scroll to the end to see the finished results if you can, and I will walk you through the process... I tried to get the pics assembled in chronological order as best as I could so that you could see the progression. Bear in mind that I am not showing TONS of possible pics of ideas that wouldn't work......So here goes:

In the beginning.....

YellowJacket001.jpg

It all started from here...

YellowJacket002.jpg

YellowJacket003.jpg

YellowJacket004.jpg

YellowJacket005.jpg

YellowJacket006.jpg

YellowJacket007.jpg

YellowJacket008.jpg

Wheels attached. I decided to fore go putting 3 wheels on the tripod right angle support piece. It turns out that it is plenty strong enough without the center wheel.

YellowJacket009.jpg

YellowJacket010.jpg

YellowJacket011.jpg

YellowJacket012.jpg

YellowJacket013.jpg

YellowJacket014.jpg

YellowJacket015.jpg

YellowJacket016.jpg

YellowJacket017.jpg

YellowJacket018.jpg

YellowJacket019.jpg

YellowJacket020.jpg

Lower and upper assembly attached. Make one mistake on your measurements and you can be off 2 to 4 inches because of the offset where the pipe slides into the fittings. Notice that the bottom bridge is off by 4 inches for this very reason...Totally pissed me off when I discovered the mistake. (Of course after I had glued the dam thing together) Not really a problem functional wise, just had to adjust the magnetic attachment on the Polycarbonate sheet. Still bothers me though.

YellowJacket021.jpg

YellowJacket022.jpg

Failed hooking assembly shown.

YellowJacket023.jpg

YellowJacket024.jpg

Another idea that I didn't pursue.

YellowJacket025.jpg

YellowJacket026.jpg

Figuring out the wheel assembly.

YellowJacket027.jpg

YellowJacket028.jpg

After dismissing the hooking assembly to attach the peel board, I finally started to look at magnets as an alternative. This is when it all started to come together. I found a magnet source online and ordered different magnets to test the pull strength and holding power. It is amazing what the strength of some of the rare earth magnets have, even the really small ones. The pic here is of something that I was experimenting with. All the poly sheets are wet sanded for effect, plus I knew they would get scratched up. The wet sanding just masks any scratches.

YellowJacket029.jpg

YellowJacket030.jpg

Paint getting ready to be applied. I primered it first with Krylon, and let that dry fully and then worked on the other colors. I was hoping that it would be good enough to not get chipped and scraped, (paint) but it gets knocked around too much." Sigh"......

YellowJacket031.jpg

Nice Georgia Tech colors don't you think?

YellowJacket032.jpg

YellowJacket034.jpg

YellowJacket035.jpg

YellowJacket036.jpg

Another idea that was dismissed. Was going to have the magnets on the peel board attach to the fender washer, but it didn't line up easily. Plus I didn't like the design of the wooden disk that I had made.

YellowJacket041.jpg

Genghis Khan magnet attached to polycarbonate disk. Pull strength of about 40 pounds.

YellowJacket043.jpg

Ghengis Khan magnets attached to poly disk that is glued to the peel board. About 1 and a half inch in diameter. 40 pound pull force.

YellowJacket044.jpg

I went with a polycarbonate as opposed to acrylic as a peel board base, because it is nearly unbreakable. I have dropped this piece a few times on its edge, and it bounced off the concrete. Very solid and strong. I am attaching the Genghis Khan magnets to the back of the poly sheet and adhering with Weld On 4. I gotta tell you something about polycarbonate adhesives. Once you weld them together, I think it would take a tank to pull it apart. Make sure you put this exactly where you want it.

YellowJacket045.jpg

YellowJacket046.jpg

YellowJacket049.jpg

Top bridge assembly. Magnets on the back of the peel board will attach to this bridge.

YellowJacket050.jpg

YellowJacket051.jpg

Steel plates attached for the magnets to grab onto. I decided to use wood as the base for added strength.

YellowJacket052.jpg

YellowJacket053.jpg

YellowJacket054.jpg

Yellow Jacket fully assembled. The tops support piece is not glued to the bottom base. It is removable for portability. I built it this way so that it will roll into my van. It is too tall to fit if fully assembled. Breaks down quickly. I can pull it out of my van and put it completely together with all the attachments in less than 5 minutes with every single tool I will use as well as film boxes on the slot just behind the top of the peel board. Can hold a 40 inch and 20 inch roll nicely. Lightweight, strong, extremely maneuverable...

YellowJacket055.jpg

Side window kit and heat gun port. I use the trowel to make a gap between the bottom of the glass and the gasket to slide the film through the gap. I think this beats the "gasket wizard " hands down. Can apply a ton of heat to the bottom om the edge of the film on problem areas, and protects the door panel from burning. I use the pro-handle to do a final sweep of the glass before I install the film, and if I need to heat something, the gun is readily available. Can also hold a razor scraper, olfa knife, or anything else that will attach to a magnet.This plex piece detaches from the roll around for storage, and also "swivels" on its base if I need to move it out of the way of the peel board for some reason. Can be moved to either top port depending on your personal preference.

YellowJacket056.jpg

Spray bottle port.

YellowJacket057.jpg

This attachment will hold a 20 roll. You can slide the roll off the tube, or roll it down to what eversize you want and cut it off. It also swivels on its base and I can swivel the attachment all the way behind the peel board if I nee to get it out of the way. This attachment is removable.

YellowJacket058.jpg

YellowJacket059.jpg

Tool box attachment. Not happy with the color. I will find one that is black and yellow...Has the same fitting screwed into the bottom that the other attachments have, and it slides right into the leg port.

YellowJacket060.jpg

YellowJacket061.jpg

Trash can and auxiliary heat gun holder port attachments.

YellowJacket062.jpg

YellowJacket063.jpg

YellowJacket064.jpg

Built in blade eater. Drop blades down the tube and can be emptied by turning the bottom frame upside down.

YellowJacket065.jpg

YellowJacket066.jpg

YellowJacket067.jpg

YellowJacket068.jpg

YellowJacket069.jpg

YellowJacket070.jpg

YellowJacket071.jpg

YellowJacket072.jpg

YellowJacket073.jpg

YellowJacket074.jpg

YellowJacket079.jpg

YellowJacket080.jpg

YellowJacket081.jpg

YellowJacket082.jpg

YellowJacket083.jpg

YellowJacket084.jpg

YellowJacket085.jpg

YellowJacket086.jpg

Can slit film from the back of the Yellow Jacket if need be.

YellowJacket087.jpg

Power Block Module. Can be attached to any available port, has 3 ac power slots, and has a handy cord reel holder.

YellowJacket088.jpg

YellowJacket089.jpg

YellowJacket090.jpg

YellowJacket092.jpg

YellowJacket093.jpg

Here you can see the difference between polycarbonate and acrylic. I dropped this piece (acrylic) and it busted the edge off. Poly wont do this....

YellowJacket094.jpg

Bottom bridge that supports the peel board. I have a metal piece attached to it and the bottom magnetic bridge on the peel board attracts to this.

YellowJacket095.jpg

YellowJacket096.jpg

Polycarbonate sheet with cutting board attached. I used a cutting mat on top because I didn't want to scar the poly sheet with razor cuts. It is self healing and works just fine. The height is tall enough to work on windows on larger vehicles without having to bend over to peel the film. Is low enough so that I can peel film from my tint chair when I am working on cars. The dimensions are about 45 wide by 35 tall, and seems optimum for what I need. The cutting board is attached with carpet tape, very thin and extremely strong adhering factor.

YellowJacket097.jpg

YellowJacket098.jpg

YellowJacket099.jpg

Bottom magnet bridge. Approx 3/4 inch magnets. 26 pound pull strength each.

YellowJacket100.jpg

YellowJacket101.jpg

YellowJacket102.jpg

Handle attachment so that I can pick up the peel board and mount onto the frame.

YellowJacket103.jpg

YellowJacket104.jpg

YellowJacket105.jpg

YellowJacket107.jpg

YellowJacket109.jpg

YellowJacket110.jpg

YellowJacket111.jpg

YellowJacket112.jpg

YellowJacket113.jpg

YellowJacket117.jpg

Bottom and top support bridges for the peel board.

YellowJacket118.jpg

YellowJacket119.jpg

The Yellow Jacket can carry everything you see in this picture and more if needed.

YellowJacket120.jpg

Remember the "Tint Chair"? Well, I have modified it, put new casters on the legs and removed the arm rests, but still holds the handy spray bottle fixture with the cup that holds a few tools....

YellowJacket121.jpg

Yellow Jacket in position and ready to work....

YellowJacket122.jpg

Thats it. I have a few more attachments that I am working on, but overall I am really pleased with this platform. Hope you enjoyed the show....

CopyofYellowJacket054.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest filmslayer
got some more pics so we can get a better idea of what you are talking about? :spit:poke

:thumb

must have took a couple hours just for the post ....

wow..... I tinted about 30 or 40 cars in the time it took to build that!!!

deff a cool Gadget.

Btw, if you have a fridge in your garage, all you really needed was a rolling work bench and you would of had everything you needed. they sell em at advanced auto for 50 bux.

Archived