llumar pinnacle...second installer visit upcoming!? bubbling/dust month later

26 minutes ago, ChipDiamond said:

You’re just incessantly babbling at this point going for the victim Olympics. You sound like a woman. I posted pictures, clearly showing a 3” scratch on a windshield tint. There is LITERALLY no excuse. Not that it’s relevant, but I also tipped the front desk woman who told me in 8 years managing the store she’s never been tipped. I don’t go in screaming anywhere.

You asked me where I work. I’m retired. 

You mention it took years for people to figure out how to tint. You realize no one cares. I’m paying for a service. Simply do it right, or it’s half assed. You order medium rare steak at a restaurant, you’re the brainlet who would complain as the cook saying wow! Another Karen! When in fact, you actually just suck at your job. Take some accountability and responsibility. You don’t even see it. It’s the customers fault! It’s the customers fault! It’s not the installers being half assed with their work. It can’t be! It’s a Karen! 

This is feminine victim mentality you are exhibiting. Simply sack up, admit yes, these specific jobs were done half hazardly, the shop should apologize and fix it.

Namaste.

Why are you here? You should apologize to everyone that’s ever done anything creative for you with their hands! I get the feeling you couldn’t fix a sandwich. Lots of us just really liked cars and thought we found away to make a living and tried to do a good job for people. But then there was this Karen! And she had a German car cuz she doesn’t read consumer reports, and loves driving the loaner. Her car never comes back just right when they put air in the tires at the dealership where her car lives and the loaners are never just right for her taste. So she gets on yelp and just tees off on any business that’s ever done her wrong. Bro don’t forget Angie’s list. You could warn other Karen’s about their work! 

1 hour ago, no ma'am said:

Why are you here? You should apologize to everyone that’s ever done anything creative for you with their hands! I get the feeling you couldn’t fix a sandwich. Lots of us just really liked cars and thought we found away to make a living and tried to do a good job for people. But then there was this Karen! And she had a German car cuz she doesn’t read consumer reports, and loves driving the loaner. Her car never comes back just right when they put air in the tires at the dealership where her car lives and the loaners are never just right for her taste. So she gets on yelp and just tees off on any business that’s ever done her wrong. Bro don’t forget Angie’s list. You could warn other Karen’s about their work! 

I am here to seek out tint installers opinions on the work. An objective and fair installer who installs high quality tints would fairly be able to say yes a 3” scratch on a $300 windshield tint is not acceptable and shitty work. Etc. I wanted opinions. All I’ve found is excuses and cop outs.

If something has done something creative for me, they are being PAID to perform the job properly. They didn’t do me a free favor. Wake up. You get paid to perform at a certain level. If you’re half assed? The market will speak. 

Why do you keep mentioning German cars? Who cares. I’ve owned Japanese cars, Italian cars. You sound dense. Do you drive a Camaro? A Mustang that you got approved with a 580 credit score and $2500 down? Is that what we are getting at here? Lol. Who cares the country of origin. 

I did a ton of research before buying both my car and my girls suv. Who cares? You’re in outer space of emotion bud. Kick back, have a corona (your favorite) and relaxxxxx jeffe. Stop playing the victim. Stop making excuses. Just do a good job and everyone’s happy. Someone orders medium rare, don’t cook up a well done steak and call the customer a Karen for complaining. Que?

Edited by ChipDiamond

Wow! Reminds me of my early days in the industry and my behavior when first entering this forum; hence, the 'can't touch this' pic.

Here's my input:

Yes, the customer has a legitimate position based on his thinking, not mine. How it gets handled is between the installer of a product and the client. Today, the internet allows folks to come get ammunition before confronting the installer they dealt with. Back 40 years ago there was no internet to avoid hearing what the installer of said product has to say ... and do about the situation. I don't care to digress into a pissin' match, here or anywhere else. I guess I've learned a few things since first starting in the industry.

40 years ago I had a client just like the one entertaining the idea of seeking our expertise here. He had nice cars and had learned through word of mouth that I was considered the best of the best in the county and the surrounding counties. From the first nice car he brought to me began a journey of learning. There wasn't one car he brought to me over years of tinting his cars that I did not have to redo a window (or two). It reached a point of, do I just refuse his business or do I step up and just provide the best I can until it does provide a breaking point.

One instance, he spied a few specks on the front doors. It was a Ford with those fuzzy/flaky weatherstrips we all came to loathe. The idea struck me that I could tape off the entire surrounding. Tinted it again and he found two specks on the front passenger side. I explained the challenge present in doing those windows and let him know the idea I put into practice that got me from a few specks to just those two. He accepted it and left. At that point I had realized the lesson learned from this extremely difficult client. I began using the tape off method on all roll up windows.

A couple years later, this guy shows up with his shiny new corvette, tinters know the one; the corvette with the large bowed back glass that does not open and require being a midget or laying on you back on the fold down passenger sit to tint that back glass. I cringed, swallowed hard and greeted him with a smile. Tinted the back glass twice that day. Learned how to do that car's back glass as another lesson under my library of ah ha moments. He came back complaining about the back glass visual quality. He went on to say, "I don't believe this is your fault, though". I inspected it and turns out it was a fuzzy batch of adhesive in the product. He received a redo and went on satisfied with the install.

The point  of the story  is we never know what a client will be like, that said, we all attempt to deliver the best install we can at that particular time. Given all the contamination factors involved when working on cars driven on the road or brand new and thought to be free of dust, we still do our best. The industry actually came out with guidelines for viewing newly installed film in hopes of clients learning something about the challenges and developing a degree understanding and acceptance. The guy I spoke of above ... turned out he was a quality control engineer working for NASA in the developing Shuttle program. My, my, my as Joe Kendra would say on the show, Homicide Hunters. What a pump to my ego to be able to say I satisfied that guy. He learned of our challenges and accepted them, but he still held me to my reputation as well. I learned something a thing or two as well.

Now, how will the original installer of this discussion learn something new if the client is over here on a forum for professionals exchanging of experiences and technique? How will the original installer to learn to simply say no, this is the best I can deliver or say, "I do not believe I can meet your standards and provide alternative tint shops ... and how does the client learn to never go back to that place? When a client were to go to different places with each car to get the tint job he is satisfied with and cannot find one place that pleases what he believes is what it should be, well, that there should be a client's 'ah ha' moment of mirror mirror on the wall.

That is why 'I can't touch this'; it's between the original professional who did the install and the client. Not the internet.

Edited by Tintguy1980

Well said tintguy1980. We have all had picky customers and this guy does seem to be one. With that said the original installer should fix the work. If he can feel the debris under the film, I agree, it needs to be redone. As for the scratch they probably never noticed it. Sometimes you can buff out faint scratches with WD-40 and a microfiber towel. Not that I've ever done that 👀

Even the high line shops have a production element operating under the surface that the sales counter has to accommodate. If you're lucky enough to find an independent through referral you'll likely have better outcomes.

I've learned to spot the "particular" clients a mile away and organize my schedule accordingly to focus with minimal distractions, which requires more time and is reflected in the invoice. 

$1500 might seem like alot for two cars. I would have been at $699 plus $399 for the windshield for each car and kept them until I'm sure I got the best work possible, with an open ended delivery time. 

The positive outcome is more referral work coming from a guy that's notoriously hard to please. (h/t to TG1980.) "If Mr. Euro Car is satisfied, thats got to be a good installer. Price be dammed, that's where I'm going." Because of this I'm usually booked 2-3 weeks forward. 

Yes, Mr. Prada Handbag is going to be a pain in the arse. If the shop handles this correctly they would have the customer and his referrals for life. These people don't like to change service providers once they find one that can meet their expectations. Charge accordingly and deliver the goods.

Edited by Dano
Added