Advice re security film selection

Hi, I am looking to get professionally installed security film for my house for all the downstairs large windows. I have been doing some research and 3m appears to most recommended. Is the 3m s140 sufficient for home security or s800 recommended? I have asked the sales rep when doing in house quotes and they were not able to really talk thru the recommended. When asked about 3m impact attachment system, one company reported that no longer in manufacture. The other company they can do it but 3m impact attachment system for residential but be unslightly and recommended structural silicone instead. When asking for quotes/ information, is there anything else we should for? Thank you! 

3M's security film is unique in that it tends to be more difficult to tear. At least that's how they marketed it back in the 1990's. That said, their 600 (6-mil) or 800 (8-mil) series of safety film is the recommendation for homeowners looking to beef up their security. 3M's 600 performs like 8-mil competitive products ... and is an easier install.

From an attachment perspective:

It can be a nightmare when the time comes to remove film and attachment. Framing will not bode well in many instances, depending on how cleanly an attachment system releases for all surfaces. Example would be a standard sealant or structural sealant.

Tempered glass is found in sliding doors or any glass that poses a risk of someone walking or falling through it. Without an attachment system on tempered glass, which breaks into small non-lethal beads of glass, the film glass can be broken and pushed out of the framing/gasket (without attachment) ... falling to the floor like a wet blanket.

All other home glass is annealed (or plate) that breaks in large shards that provide better grip in the frame, gasket and to the aftermarket film, compared to tempered glass. This allows safety film to hold the panel in place for longer periods of time and takes greater effort to gain a safe opening to get inside. Annealed glass also has the benefit of making someone bleed if they are clumsy around the edge of each shard. This provides DNA forensic evidence.

It really depends on what tool used to penetrate and how much time a person has to clear the glass. If they want in bad enough, they are likely to breach the filmed glass with the same effort as a (say a solid wood) door.

It's been a decade since I was in the industry, so I have no idea of what is new or what has gone by the wayside for lack of demand.

You're a rare bird in terms of requesting and following through with this type of security for a home (again by standards known a decade ago). Tough decision, but if your pockets are deep enough, much of the detrimental side I've mention would likely be moot.

The film product might get 10, 15, or 20 years life, depending on sun exposure, before replacement is necessary.

Good luck.

Edited by Tintguy1980