Serious discussion RE: Security Film Installation Malfeasance

Totally new here. I can barely install any tint or film, but I have been selling film for a very successful architectural/flat glass dealer for the last 2 years.  I recently learned about something that has been weighing on me quite heavily, and I thought someone here might be have some advice or help steer me in the right direction. 

The company I work for has benefitted greatly from the recent “security film boom”, especially with respect to schools, churches, etc. We have secured several contracts with school boards all across our state, as well as many local private schools and pre-schools. As one of the lead sales people, I have personally benefited from this boost in demand, securing many extremely large sales over the last 2 years. 

It recently came to my intention that my boss has been instructed our installation team to “bend the rules” regarding some of the manufacturing specifications of proper installation of certain products we use on a regular basis. This specifically relates to the installation of DOW 995 structural adhesive. Rather than take the time to pull the gaskets and back fill the channel with backer rod OR flush trim the gaskets to the frame, my boss has been specifically instructing our team to install the caulk directly over the rubber gaskets, which appears to be a big NO-NO with that specific product. (I realize that this is not a problem with 3M IPA, but we are about 50%-50% on use of one or the other on all projects)

Furthermore, we (the installation team) have been adding Jet Dry to the soap water mixture used when installing any and all security films to prevent the occurrence of “champagne bubbles” behind the film; no matter the brand, interior or exterior, or film thickness. I can’t find many resources as to whether this matters or what implications it might have for the effectiveness of the adhesive, but I can’t find any information that suggests this is advisable either. 

It is the case with many of these jobs, that I am the only real “face” the client knows with regard to the sale or installation of their products. I don’t know how much, if any, these “corner cuts” compromise the function of the products, but it seems extremely sleazy to do this simply to make a few extra bucks or save a day or two on a job site when those potentially being put at risk are school children. 

Anybody have any advice? Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do I bear any liability as the person who sold this film that was not installed properly?

Im all ears. 

Thanks

“Recently came to my attention” not intention. 

1 minute ago, A Film Salesman said:

Totally new here. I can barely install any tint or film, but I have been selling film for a very successful architectural/flat glass dealer for the last 2 years.  I recently learned about something that has been weighing on me quite heavily, and I thought someone here might be have some advice or help steer me in the right direction. 

The company I work for has benefitted greatly from the recent “security film boom”, especially with respect to schools, churches, etc. We have secured several contracts with school boards all across our state, as well as many local private schools and pre-schools. As one of the lead sales people, I have personally benefited from this boost in demand, securing many extremely large sales over the last 2 years. 

It recently came to my intention that my boss has been instructed our installation team to “bend the rules” regarding some of the manufacturing specifications of proper installation of certain products we use on a regular basis. This specifically relates to the installation of DOW 995 structural adhesive. Rather than take the time to pull the gaskets and back fill the channel with backer rod OR flush trim the gaskets to the frame, my boss has been specifically instructing our team to install the caulk directly over the rubber gaskets, which appears to be a big NO-NO with that specific product. (I realize that this is not a problem with 3M IPA, but we are about 50%-50% on use of one or the other on all projects)

Furthermore, we (the installation team) have been adding Jet Dry to the soap water mixture used when installing any and all security films to prevent the occurrence of “champagne bubbles” behind the film; no matter the brand, interior or exterior, or film thickness. I can’t find many resources as to whether this matters or what implications it might have for the effectiveness of the adhesive, but I can’t find any information that suggests this is advisable either. 

It is the case with many of these jobs, that I am the only real “face” the client knows with regard to the sale or installation of their products. I don’t know how much, if any, these “corner cuts” compromise the function of the products, but it seems extremely sleazy to do this simply to make a few extra bucks or save a day or two on a job site when those potentially being put at risk are school children. 

Anybody have any advice? Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do I bear any liability as the person who sold this film that was not installed properly?

Im all ears. 

Thanks

“It recently came to my attention” not “intention” 🙄