Question, factory tinted windows and damage to eyes ????

Hi guys.

I have read somewhere that factory tinted windows can damage the eyes (I can't find back this article) , because they do not have good enough UV protection, especially if it is tempered glass and not laminated glass. As in many countries, there is a requirement for a certain UV protection in sunglasses. How will this be with the glasses in the car? 

I don't think it's possible to protect against uva rays without any layer of film. 

The problem is that if the glass is darker with not uva protection, the eye lets in more light, if there is too little UV coverage in the glass, this can lead to damage to the eye.

UVA, UVB, and UVC rays can lead to cataracts, macular degeneration, photokeratitis, and more. Over 24 million Americans over 40 suffer from cataracts alone.

From google, The first rule of thumb is to choose sunglasses that provide 100% UVA/UVB protection.

Think about it, people have kids in the back seat, they look at the sun for hours while driving... 

What do we think about this? 

Automotive glass has evolved in the past couple of decades. It is spotty throughout the auto industry as to non-laminated glass that screens UV. Personally, I spent days going around car lots about 12-14 years ago using an EDTM 2450 meter to measure solar rejection performance, including UV.

New models' privacy glass did have the capacity to screen a substantial amount of UV rays. Hell, even the front door glass (non-privacy) of a Cadillac screened a substantial amount of UV. It truly surprised me, so I went back to my desk and began searching through glass makers' performance values (what they would share that is). There were statements of UV protection and other (general) statements said, their glass protects the car interior.

I'm sure a member of this site might have that meter, whereby they could do the same on car lots, after receiving permission from the dealer's manager.

It is always better to be safe rather than sorry by having window film applied knowing all major brands screen 99%+ of the sun's UV rays.