Ceramic to avoid vehicle computer issues

On 8/17/2024 at 11:22 AM, Jim Alamia said:

Ceramic window tinting is a good choice, especially for modern vehicles with complex electronics. It won’t interfere with your defroster or other systems because it’s non-metallic. While ceramic tints are more expensive, they offer better performance and protection, so you’re likely not being ripped off. It's worth the investment if you want the best for your car.

What do you think the titanium nitride is? 

So, the main benefit of ceramic films is their high heat rejection - way more that the metal films could do, and also no chance of signal interference, that, in some cases, the metal films did cause. But it really isn't clear that the metal films will cause problems (cell phone reception, tire pressure monitoring, remote start, or any of the other electronics/signals) One of the main benefits that was talked about in the early days of ceramic films was that AM radio could POSSIBLY be interfered with ... uh AM radio - anyone still listening to this ?!? But even though the ceramic films,  of course, won't have any signal interference, it's their heat blocking and just the fact that they are the latest and greatest technology in auto films today that is the selling point. They are better than the metal films by far and I sell loads of them at my shop. 

3 hours ago, mrsunshades said:

So, the main benefit of ceramic films is their high heat rejection - way more that the metal films could do, and also no chance of signal interference, that, in some cases, the metal films did cause. But it really isn't clear that the metal films will cause problems (cell phone reception, tire pressure monitoring, remote start, or any of the other electronics/signals) One of the main benefits that was talked about in the early days of ceramic films was that AM radio could POSSIBLY be interfered with ... uh AM radio - anyone still listening to this ?!? But even though the ceramic films,  of course, won't have any signal interference, it's their heat blocking and just the fact that they are the latest and greatest technology in auto films today that is the selling point. They are better than the metal films by far and I sell loads of them at my shop. 

"Way more" is a stretch.  At least with Global HP compared to QDPC there isn't a huge difference. Not in the 20% film for sure which is about 95% of what I install. 

2 minutes ago, Ryker said:

"Way more" is a stretch.  At least with Global HP compared to QDPC there isn't a huge difference. Not in the 20% film for sure which is about 95% of what I install. 

Yeah I thought I might get dinged for that one! ceramic films, especially my nano ceramic, definitely have a higher heat protection than my top performing metal film (that I used to carry) but you have to pay for it too, so that has to be factored in. I just quit carrying metal films because ceramic is what everybody wants - I've got a basic died film, and then a ceramic, and then a nano ceramic, sticking with the "good better best" model. I could carry a metal film but I'd rather keep it simple; besides why would I want to mess around with the older technology when there's ceramic available?

It just depends on your clientele. HP films are great for smaller towns or rural areas where people will not pay the extra $$$ for Ceramic or in an area that doesn't get unpleasantly hot. If you're in a bigger population, chances are Ceramic films are trending more. Last time I checked, over 90% of our window tint jobs are Ceramic films. I would love to say it's because we're great at selling it, but honestly, most customers request it. We can't even say a starting at price on the phone without their next question being, is that Ceramic? Ceramic IR performance versus HP depends on the brand/film. Global QDP Ceramic, for example, is on the lower end of performance, with most shades in the mid-70s. So, I would compare it to Llumar CTX, an entry-level Ceramic. XPEL XR Black/XR Plus, Llumar IRX, FormulaOne Pinnacle/Stratos, Autobahn i3, and 3M Ceramic IR are all higher-performing films that will be more noticeable.

Edited by DynamicATL

On 8/27/2024 at 3:32 PM, DynamicATL said:

It just depends on your clientele. HP films are great for smaller towns or rural areas where people will not pay the extra $$$ for Ceramic or in an area that doesn't get unpleasantly hot. If you're in a bigger population, chances are Ceramic films are trending more. Last time I checked, over 90% of our window tint jobs are Ceramic films. I would love to say it's because we're great at selling it, but honestly, most customers request it. We can't even say a starting at price on the phone without their next question being, is that Ceramic? Ceramic IR performance versus HP depends on the brand/film. Global QDP Ceramic, for example, is on the lower end of performance, with most shades in the mid-70s. So, I would compare it to Llumar CTX, an entry-level Ceramic. XPEL XR Black/XR Plus, Llumar IRX, FormulaOne Pinnacle/Stratos, Autobahn i3, and 3M Ceramic IR are all higher-performing films that will be more noticeable.

Looking at specs and at most on 3 of those you listed, in 20%, there is 16% more TSER at 66% than Global HP at 51%. I don't really think that's enough to justify the cost of the film or needing to charge accordingly. You can claim IR numbers but TSER tells the story without being some narrow band of IR measurements. 

Global QDPC being at 62% TSER so not that much lower than say Autobahn i3 that is 66%. 

Sadly, IMO, everyone that is pushing it are just helping the manufacturers make more...

I will continue to use a film that I know has not had any failure of any kind in 17 years. One car that I personally seen at 13 years with 5%, no color change,  fade, or other issues in a delivery vehicle that was always outside!

6 minutes ago, Ryker said:

Looking at specs and at most on 3 of those you listed, in 20%, there is 16% more TSER at 66% than Global HP at 51%. I don't really think that's enough to justify the cost of the film or needing to charge accordingly. You can claim IR numbers but TSER tells the story without being some narrow band of IR measurements. 

Global QDPC being at 62% TSER so not that much lower than say Autobahn i3 that is 66%. 

Sadly, IMO, everyone that is pushing it are just helping the manufacturers make more...

I will continue to use a film that I know has not had any failure of any kind in 17 years. One car that I personally seen at 13 years with 5%, no color change,  fade, or other issues in a delivery vehicle that was always outside!

Nobody told you not to keep selling the film you've been selling. You do you. Performance-wise, I'm speaking specifically IR numbers as they penetrate the skin deeper, reaching your nerves versus other forms of heat. So you feel the difference more with higher IR films, making it more comfortable. If I install an HP film on my vehicle, I won't feel a huge difference in heat rejection after installation. Does it block some heat? Absolutely. Will I notice it? Not really. Will I notice a difference with high IR blocking film? Yes. I just traded my Tesla Model 3P for a Model YP. I drove it three times in the first two weeks with no added tint, waiting to fit it into the schedule. I added XPEL XR Plus on all windows, and from the first drive, it was night and day. 

Now, it is all about your location. If I offered only HP here, I would lose customers like crazy cause majority know about Ceramic films and request them. Like I said before, over 90% of our installations are Ceramic tint, not because we push it or heat lamps, but because they walk in wanting that.

How is pushing Ceramic films only making money for the manny? You would be charging double your current price for what, $200 more a roll for Global, which is $20-25 extra a car. There is zero logic there.

Once again, you do what you feel is best for you. My response was not for you, so don't worry; nobody here is trying to convert you.

I would be over $600 if I doubled prices on cars. If I was in a bigger city I would offer more but as it is I get really good prices without paying for ceramic. 

I've got Ice gray 80 global on my car windshield.  Nice film and it made a difference but it's not a be all end all to me... 

My opinion being what it is I think the manufacturers are making a lot more profit selling the "ceramic" films.  

As for "My response was not for you" you were speaking about Global specifically and my points on it... 

I have people think that ceramic is something magic,  indestructible,  better in ways that it isn't.  The crazy "its dark looking in but not looking out" misinformation crap. 

At the end of the day we're all just slinging plastic with some other crap added. I just get tired of the drone and overly internet "educated" people.