Ceramic to avoid vehicle computer issues

I recently asked for a quote for window tinting for all windows on my vehicle. When I told the owner the year of the car, she told me that ceramic is best for my vehicle. She explained that with ceramic window tinting, this will prevent issues with the computer system as far as the defroster on the rear window and other computer components of the vehicle.

I do not know a lot about this or I have never heard this and would like clarification or am I being ripped off?

Is this true to any degree?

As I understand it, ceramic films cause less interference with radio signals compared with metallic films. But computer issues and the defroster? I don't see the connection, beside the fact that the radio antenna is on the rear window with the defrosters, maybe that's what they meant? Or perhaps internal signals from the car itself?

Thank you for responding. The radio antenna is on the top of the car. The only thing(s) on the rear window are the defrosters. I am not sure what the internal signals might be that the tint would interfere with.

6 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Thank you for responding. The radio antenna is on the top of the car. The only thing(s) on the rear window are the defrosters. I am not sure what the internal signals might be that the tint would interfere with.

Some cars have things like tire pressure sensors etc. I'm really not sure if that's a concern.

Let's ask someone higher on the food chain. Paging @Tintguy1980

The tint shop owner sounds as though she may have scrambled ideas on auto electronics. However, her statement of ceramic film being safe is spot on. In fact, ceramic films have almost eliminated the need to worry.

A metallized film, as it's been said, can interfere with some signals used by auto electronics such GPS location, FM radio antenna placement on back window and two prong FM antenna configurations losing one of the two (these are to maintain signal strength, tire pressure sensor signaling (limited reports) ... even some key fob signaling effectiveness can be reduced in distance (these are usually infrared powered). Any auto computer issues are usually related to water short-circuiting.

Installers and biz owners are generally aware of these type challenges and how to avoid them, especially because of this site. Others such as sales reps and tech raps for film distributors are up to date as well.

It's been awhile since I was in the stream of shared info, so this is the best I can give even when repeating other's input.

Straight-dyed, Ceramic, and Carbon based products are safe to use in the aforementioned electronics scenarios.

Haven't had any issues using the old school HP films in over 20 years.  The full metal films were horrible.  

Ceramic might be a little safer but I don't think they are worth the extra cost. 

Ceramic will be better on heat rejection than a simple dyed film though. 

It’s been awhile but I’ll chime in, what films do they offer and what car are we talking about? We don’t need a brand name just the sales pitch will probably work. Either way bring the shop the cleanest emptiest vehicle you can, dog hair and an unkept interior work against a clean install. Maybe just quick wash on the outside.  Be prepared to have to do a quick rinse or wipe down after the install. I’m tinting it not washing it. Soap streaks will be present on paint when I’m done. Got 5 more cars after yours ain’t got the time to argue about stupid stuff. It’s hot! We appreciate your cooperation.

It was just a sales tactic to show the value of ceramic film. Metalized or HP film has a very thin layer of metal these days that will most likely not interfere with any electronics. Most shops don't carry it to be safe or because customers may have been fed this outdated information. However, some heavy metal films are still out there, like 3M Black Chrome. Defrosters would not be affected by any window film.

Ceramic window tinting is a good choice, especially for modern vehicles with complex electronics. It won’t interfere with your defroster or other systems because it’s non-metallic. While ceramic tints are more expensive, they offer better performance and protection, so you’re likely not being ripped off. It's worth the investment if you want the best for your car.