Distilled vs Deionized vs tap water?

I run a one man shop and do both tint and PPF. I have been struggling with inconsistent results with both products and I think I've narrowed it down to the tap water I use. I just ordered a TDS meter to see how bad my water really is, but in the meantime I am going to use distilled water to see if that helps get more consistent results with my installs (I'm sure it will). 

I am moving into a new shop next month and I have been looking into water filtration systems, Deionized vs distilled, etc. Can anyone here chime in on what they use and which is better? I watched a video where Mike Norg shows his DI system and he says that is all his business uses. When doing some research it looks like distilled might actually have less contaminants in it though? I was thinking of buying a DI filtration system for washing cars and mixing slip solutions but now I'm on the fence and might just use distilled. It looks like distilled water is harder to make myself so I am looking into having one of the local water delivery companies bring in the big jugs every couple weeks but then that presents another problem of how to dispense it quickly, storing the big jugs, etc. 

I would love to hear what other shops use, and what their set ups look like for max efficiency. Also is everyone still just using J&J? Tint Slime products? Trying to get a recipe for success before moving into the new shop. Thanks!!

You are correct in thinking that distilled will be better than DI.  Distilled will have less contaminants just because of how it's made.  Di water could "possibly" still have some solid contaminates in it.  Can't speak 100% on this yet as I use only distilled at the moment.  I am considering having a DI system installed soon and will have to see how that goes and if it changes anything.  I would love to have a distilling machine but they are sooooo expensive.  This is also the other side of the problem with distilled.  The machine to do it is rather expensive and also rather difficult to maintain as far as cleaning what it is removing.  In most cases we just buy distilled in gallons or like you said, have it delivered in bulk.  Owning a distilling machine is not feasible for most small shops.  

I do believe you will see much better results using distilled water.  

No baby shampoo. BOO!!!!  :thumbdown  Using distilled water and baby shampoo will cause the baby shampoo to separate in you bottles or sprayers if it sits on the shelf just a little too long.  I would recommend something made for what you are doing. I use TintSlime but that is just my preference. I know a lot people who like Fusion All Type also.  But anything from a supplier would be better than baby shampoo or dish soap in my opinion.  :twocents  

38 minutes ago, Bham said:

You are correct in thinking that distilled will be better than DI.  Distilled will have less contaminants just because of how it's made.  Di water could "possibly" still have some solid contaminates in it.  Can't speak 100% on this yet as I use only distilled at the moment.  I am considering having a DI system installed soon and will have to see how that goes and if it changes anything.  I would love to have a distilling machine but they are sooooo expensive.  This is also the other side of the problem with distilled.  The machine to do it is rather expensive and also rather difficult to maintain as far as cleaning what it is removing.  In most cases we just buy distilled in gallons or like you said, have it delivered in bulk.  Owning a distilling machine is not feasible for most small shops.  

I do believe you will see much better results using distilled water.  

No baby shampoo. BOO!!!!  :thumbdown  Using distilled water and baby shampoo will cause the baby shampoo to separate in you bottles or sprayers if it sits on the shelf just a little too long.  I would recommend something made for what you are doing. I use TintSlime but that is just my preference. I know a lot people who like Fusion All Type also.  But anything from a supplier would be better than baby shampoo or dish soap in my opinion.  :twocents  

Thanks for your perspective! I ordered some tint slime products yesterday, going to test them out this week. I tried tintslip recently and didn't find it to be very good. Do you use the original tint slime or the ultra? And for your distilled water do you get it in 1 gallon jugs or big water cooler sized jugs?

19 hours ago, Detailworks said:

Thanks for your perspective! I ordered some tint slime products yesterday, going to test them out this week. I tried tintslip recently and didn't find it to be very good. Do you use the original tint slime or the ultra? And for your distilled water do you get it in 1 gallon jugs or big water cooler sized jugs?

I get my water by the gallon jugs at a time. 16 to 20 at a time.  I use an electric sprayer set-up and mix at 2 gallons at a time.  
I use TintSlime Ultra year round.  I don't like changing back and forth, summer to winter,  so I just use less slip solution in the winter than I do in the summer.  

3 hours ago, bajasil60 said:

What is the difference between distillation and deionization?

Distillation uses boiling water and steam accumulation to create an almost pure water.  Boiling and collecting steam removes all solid material and most every other chemical or substance that could be in the water. i.e.= lime, calcium, fluorides, salt deposits, etc.   

Deionized or Di water is treated and filtered to remove chemicals and solids.  This process does not remove dissolved solids and salt minerals as well as distillation.  

Edited by Bham

9 minutes ago, Bham said:

I get my water by the gallon jugs at a time. 16 to 20 at a time.  I use an electric sprayer set-up and mix at 2 gallons at a time.  
I use TintSlime Ultra year round.  I don't like changing back and forth, summer to winter,  so I just use less slip solution in the winter than I do in the summer.  

Awesome. I have a tru spray tank that I use and mix 2 gallons at a time as well. From what I’ve read, the tint slime doesn’t break down like soap in the keg correct? So I shouldn’t have to drain the keg daily and can just run it until empty? I think if that’s the case, I’ll get another keg setup so I can just have one for PPF and one for tint so I don’t need to keep re mixing solutions every day 🤔

How much does that much distilled water run you? And what does your ratio look like with that tintslime ultra?

54 minutes ago, Detailworks said:

Awesome. I have a tru spray tank that I use and mix 2 gallons at a time as well. From what I’ve read, the tint slime doesn’t break down like soap in the keg correct? So I shouldn’t have to drain the keg daily and can just run it until empty? I think if that’s the case, I’ll get another keg setup so I can just have one for PPF and one for tint so I don’t need to keep re mixing solutions every day 🤔

How much does that much distilled water run you? And what does your ratio look like with that tintslime ultra?

It would be a good idea to get another keg just for PPF slip solution.  I have heard really good things about SpiderSpit.  The TintSlime will stay good in the tank for a very long time. I've gone for over a week and come back in and just started working again with no issues.  

I pay about $1.20 to $1.50 a gallon depending on where I get it.  Sometimes can find it for $1.00 

My ration is 25ml./gal +/- a mil or two depending on current temps and humidity levels. 
But you will have to figure out what works best for you thru trial and error.  It may slip to much or not enough the first couple of trials, but you should be able to get it right rather quickly.  

Edited by Bham

6 minutes ago, Bham said:

It would be a good idea to get another keg just for PPF slip solution.  I have heard really good things about SpiderSpit.  The TintSlime will stay good in the tank for a very long time. I've gone for over a week and come back in and just started working again with no issues.  

I pay about $1.20 to $1.50 a gallon depending on where I get it.  Sometimes can find it for $1.00 

My ration is 25ml./gal +/- a mil or two depending on current temps and humidity levels. 

Yeah I ordered some of the spider spit, original and ultra tint slime. Will report back with results. 

Thanks for your responses, they were very helpful!

15 hours ago, Dano said:

@Bham which spray tank are you using? Any issues with it?

Sureflo on demand gives a constant 60psi.  I LOVE IT!!!  Haven't had any issues and have loved it since the day I bought it.  Way overpriced from Gila.  You can build this setup yourself way cheaper if you by the pump yourself and then rig it up to a 5gal. water jug (the ones for office water).  I am about to repipe this one and get rid of the brass fittings.  That's really the only issue with it is the fittings and hoses restrict it a little and I think I can do better with plastic fittings and better tubing. 

On 5/6/2020 at 1:53 PM, Bham said:

7263244C-0FE8-4FDC-9B2A-2CEFD6F151FC.jpeg