2 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

3M has come a long way if you haven't used it in years. 3M Obsidian replaced the FX series, which is a higher-quality, color-stable film, whereas FX had some failures. 3M Color Stable (confusing name) is a Carbon film that is amazing but is pricey for a film that does not block much heat. 3M Ceramic IR is my favorite film on the lineup—great color and amazing performance. Everyone at our shop has installed it on their vehicles over the more well-known option, Llumar IRX, which we also carry. 3M Crystalline is the same as before but is being updated very soon.

With that being said, I would probably check out Global over 3M. Every 3M film is harder to shrink/install, so it always takes more time. Besides Ceramic IR, it is very pricey when compared to other mannys. Also, if you can't install Crystalline, I'd skip it for sure, as that is the most known 3M film.

Color Stable is a general term for films that are not supposed to fade or change color. Take XPEL CS (Color Stable), their entry-level dyed film. 3M named their Carbon line this because, I assume, their entry-level FX series was not color stable. However, it is a full Carbon film that utilizes their patented carbon polyester, unlike films like Suntek Carbon, which has very little in it.

Hey man thanks so much for all this information - I’m gathering that Global is a film that I should check out.

I’m glad I found this website it’s an amazing community, and I’ll have more questions for you guys down the line for sure.

Until then 🫡

On 7/26/2024 at 8:41 PM, docscustoms said:

“Color stable”

The term has been used ever since LLumar offered a dyed polyester that would not change from smoke to purple. Didn't take long for other makers to change out, too.

Carbon came along a few years after that innovation.

The 3M Crystalline on my Jeep has remained the same 'color' over the past 8yrs; never been garaged.

When I entered the window film industry (1980) there was a film producer, I believe named 'National Metalizing' that sold a dyed film product that held it's color (color stable) for more than a decade. I installed it for a few years. Unfortunately, they went away and I can only presume it was because they were selling their film at Yugo pricing for a Cadillac film.

On 7/31/2024 at 11:08 AM, Tintguy1980 said:

The term has been used ever since LLumar offered a dyed polyester that would not change from smoke to purple. Didn't take long for other makers to change out, too.

Carbon came along a few years after that innovation.

The 3M Crystalline on my Jeep has remained the same 'color' over the past 8yrs; never been garaged.

When I entered the window film industry (1980) there was a film producer, I believe named 'National Metalizing' that sold a dyed film product that held it's color (color stable) for more than a decade. I installed it for a few years. Unfortunately, they went away and I can only presume it was because they were selling their film at Yugo pricing for a Cadillac film.

Hey tintguy,

Thanks for the intel. Haven’t been checking the site. 

I think it goes without saying, the minimum standard for all of us is a film that doesn’t fade/purple. I’m satisfied practicing with Madico for now but will always be looking for any tweaks if they’re out there.

Do you stick to 3M nowadays? It is on record for the film that allowed the most “flawless” work I’ve done in the past.

8 hours ago, docscustoms said:

Hey tintguy,

Do you stick to 3M nowadays?

Glad to help with info.

As to 3M today? No, I do not have access to the film.

I do have a small collection of film remnant rolls I was gifted a decade or more ago. It's enough to keep any of our cars tinted until they put me to the flames.

The 3M was a one-off access through a dealer back in 2015 for the investigative work I was assigned at the time. I'm sure they are enjoying the accolades I give about their Crystalline product.