Need advice on starting a new business.

I'm in the process of starting my own tinting/wraps/PPF business, but I'm trying to work the best way to go forward.  I have 15 years of experience, so installing is not an issue.  I would like to carry a very high quality film, and was thinking Llumar, but they require me to have a retail location to start an account.  Unfortunately, I'm not starting out with a lot of extra income and am concerned about getting a retail location with a higher rent when I'm not certain if I will start off getting enough business to cover all expenses initially.  So do I jump into a more professional location before the business is built up, which seems kinda risky, or should I try to work out of a different temp spot and maybe do some mobile work until I know business is more steady?  And if I do the latter option, which film company is very high quality that will allow me to make an account with them without having a retail location?  Appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Starting a business the way it's described above makes for a long and difficult road to reaching sustainable income through reputation/word-of-mouth. I know, because I tried it from scratch as well.

I worked a part-time job for about two years to reach a point where I could quit and go full-time. I had a location from day one where people could drop in and schedule ... it was paid for by my savings and the PT job. Long hours manning the location and going to an evening job that period of time was only done through determination to get where I wanted to be. Back in 1980's money, it would have taken at least 10-15K$ to step in with location, stock and advertising costs.

Can't imagine what the cost would be today. Find a location you can piggyback off of; somewhere noticeable (good signage to reference with) and avoid being near dirty businesses such as cabinet building, pile mulch suppliers, detail shops, car audio or auto body shops. Check with storage complexes and see if they allow occasion side-hussle work such as tinting cars. They're monthly cost may be much lower than brick and mortar ... at least until you can afford a better move-to location). Just make sure they have a restroom/water source (that's what I did way back when) and know, it may not provide cool air.

As to premium films, yeah there's a few big, well-known names that go way back, but there's also a name that is a bit more humble about how they gained a fair market share around the world. That would be Global. Global can be touted as being equal to, if not, superior, to the 'big' brands.

Do your research on the film you settle with, know it like that back of your hand and pitch that when you speak 'with confidence' to a client. Global is the one truly vertically-integrated film manufacturers in the world. This means they make everything that goes into a film product from polyester, dyed poly, adhesive, metallized poly, ceramic-coated poly, scratch coat, to liner (They may not make the boxes the film goes in, but I can be wrong, LOL).

Best of luck

Contact Express Films.

Edited by Tintguy1980

On 7/18/2024 at 8:34 PM, Tintguy1980 said:

Starting a business the way it's described above makes for a long and difficult road to reaching sustainable income through reputation/word-of-mouth. I know, because I tried it from scratch as well.

I worked a part-time job for about two years to reach a point where I could quit and go full-time. I had a location from day one where people could drop in and schedule ... it was paid for by my savings and the PT job. Long hours manning the location and going to an evening job that period of time was only done through determination to get where I wanted to be. Back in 1980's money, it would have taken at least 10-15K$ to step in with location, stock and advertising costs.

Can't imagine what the cost would be today. Find a location you can piggyback off of; somewhere noticeable (good signage to reference with) and avoid being near dirty businesses such as cabinet building, pile mulch suppliers, detail shops, car audio or auto body shops. Check with storage complexes and see if they allow occasion side-hussle work such as tinting cars. They're monthly cost may be much lower than brick and mortar ... at least until you can afford a better move-to location). Just make sure they have a restroom/water source (that's what I did way back when) and know, it may not provide cool air.

As to premium films, yeah there's a few big, well-known names that go way back, but there's also a name that is a bit more humble about how they gained a fair market share around the world. That would be Global. Global can be touted as being equal to, if not, superior, to the 'big' brands.

Do your research on the film you settle with, know it like that back of your hand and pitch that when you speak 'with confidence' to a client. Global is the one truly vertically-integrated film manufacturers in the world. This means they make everything that goes into a film product from polyester, dyed poly, adhesive, metallized poly, ceramic-coated poly, scratch coat, to liner (They may not make the boxes the film goes in, but I can be wrong, LOL).

Best of luck

Contact Express Films.

Thanks for share good advice