Hyundai sunroofs exploding?

Bham

It has been an ongoing thing for Hyundai...they settled a class action lawsuit in 2019 over it. It has been happening to other manufacturers too including the Jeep Wagoneer. Below has a list of the complaints by vehicle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/3816319/exploding-sunroofs-car-models-brands-transport-canada/amp/

Somebody is cutting corners where the glass is made; it's either they are not cleaning their equipment as well as needed or skipping the heat soak test where the glass gets dipped into boiling water to test for nickel-sulfide inclusion contaminants serious enough to bust the glass during the process.

If it passes the test, it does not mean it free of inclusions, it tests for those that are larger enough to cause problems way too soon. The heat soak can also trigger smaller size inclusions to begin growing. They grow until their expansion places enough internal pressure/tension for the glass to break.

Factory tinted and plain 70% VLT side window glass are susceptible to spontaneous breakage. Sliding doors in homes are known to do the same, although extremely rare.

Adding high absorptive window film can accelerate growth of nickel-sulfide inclusions.

29 minutes ago, Tintguy1980 said:

Adding high absorptive window film can accelerate growth of nickel-sulfide inclusions.

I had our pano's done at 50% (not not want to go darker as I wanted to let some heat in and the film *absorb less*).

I thought this was a good thing to do not only to reduce the heat but also should the glass shatter...as least it was laminated from the tint...

Good or bad idea on this throught process ?

I actually hemmed and hawed at this, as I wasn't sure which one was better or worse (to tint or not  on sunroofs) to the the common exploding sunroof theme......

Edited by mobiledynamics

Since stock glass can explode, adding a 50% film like Ceramic that absorbs heat will definitely increase the risk. We typically suggest 35% or lighter to customers but have done it all the way down to 5% many times, with zero reported breaks to date. I've installed it that dark on some of my cars in the past with no issue. So you never know.

Factory tinted glass works by absorption and as many of us know, air passing over the glass carries away any heat build up.

If glass is tempered with zero threat from nickel sulfide inclusions, you can install any film. It's a crap shoot whether an owner will experience spontaneous breakage, in other words, it is such a small occurrence percentage it's not thought of as an issue ... say, for recall.

Back in the day when I was installing film and a custy asked for their sunroof to be tinted, I would only offer mirrored tint (Solargard's silver 20%, 35% or 50%, custy's choice), most especially when the glass was factory tinted. 

Today's glass can be scary, when greed is factored in.