Which states allow windshield strip down to the AS-1 line, even if the AS-1 line is 7 or 8 inches from the top of the windshield?

Which states allow windshield strip down to the AS-1 line, even if the AS-1 line is 7 or 8 inches from the top of the windshield?

My state is one such state and I was amused that the installer told me it was my choice... so I had him tint it down to the AS-1 line.  On my car, the top edge of the glass(visible part) is 7 and 3/4 inch from the AS-1 line. When I sit in my driving position, that line happens to be at my eye level.(which is where it should be)    The windshield glass(again, clear part) is about 24 inches from top to bottom.  This means almost 1/3 of the windshield now has 5% tint on the top.... looks kind of funny from the outside. :)

Strangely, at my previous state, that is not allowed.  The rule over there is the AS-1 line or 5 inches, whichever is shorter.  :) It always amuses me that there are 50 states and each state has its own quirky window tint laws.  

AS1_line_tint.jpg

Edited by blueseagulls
add picture

Which states allow windshield tint?

For the states of Alabama, Georgia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon and Washington allows tinting the uppermost six inches of the windshield provided that it follows the state’s respective VLT, visible light and reflectivity percentages.

On the other hand, the states of Alaska, Maryland, and West Virginia allow tinting on the top five inches of the windshield provided that the film’s VLT and reflectivity percentages are compliant with their rules. Arizona and the states of Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, as well as Wisconsin, allow tinting up to the top of the vehicle’s manufacturer’s assigned line.

Minnesota and Pennsylvania don’t allow tinting on windshields while New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington DC and Wyoming allow tinting 5 inches of the windshields or from the top of the said line whichever one comes first. Connecticut, Delaware and Florida allow non-reflective tinting above the line while the remaining states, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii and Maine, allows tinted windshields within their respective restrictions.

https://smartfilmaz.com/can-i-tint-my-windshield-and-rear-window-in-arizona/

17 hours ago, blueseagulls said:

My state is one such state and I was amused that the installer told me it was my choice... so I had him tint it down to the AS-1 line.  On my car, the top edge of the glass(visible part) is 7 and 3/4 inch from the AS-1 line. When I sit in my driving position, that line happens to be at my eye level.(which is where it should be)    The windshield glass(again, clear part) is about 24 inches from top to bottom.  This means almost 1/3 of the windshield now has 5% tint on the top.... looks kind of funny from the outside. :)

Strangely, at my previous state, that is not allowed.  The rule over there is the AS-1 line or 5 inches, whichever is shorter.  :) It always amuses me that there are 50 states and each state has its own quirky window tint laws.  

AS1_line_tint.jpg

I personally have wondered about actual legal ramifications to someone that gets tint to the AS1 line when it is lower than the state says.  AS1, AS2, AS3 are the federal standards but they let the states regulate.

So here in Illinois it is 6" on the uppermost portion. I usually do what "fits" the windshield or what the customer wants,  to a degree. I would assume that you could fight a ticket if at or above the AS1 line if it was lower than the state legal.