High absorption rates?

Is it just me or does Llumar seem to have really high absorption rates? When you look at the specs they seem to commonly have absorption rates over 50% but when you check the film to glass charts they claim that they are safe. Thoughts?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SA is the death nail for glass. Another metric, and I don't know how to qualify it is DR films in the 5-35% range. They are the biggest glass breaker in the industry. Possibly because of the wide spread use. I don't know if glass heats to fast or cools to fast with it on. It may also be prolonged heat absorption.

SA is the death nail for glass. Another metric, and I don't know how to qualify it is DR films in the 5-35% range. They are the biggest glass breaker in the industry. Possibly because of the wide spread use. I don't know if glass heats to fast or cools to fast with it on. It may also be prolonged heat absorption.

Keep in mind that us in the ........  :cold.......States have more to deal with, East facing windows are our worst for breakage with a med to high SA film.

Lets not forget about RE-Neutral films as well in the 35% and lower range.  

Is it just me or does Llumar seem to have really high absorption rates? When you look at the specs they seem to commonly have absorption rates over 50% but when you check the film to glass charts they claim that they are safe. Thoughts?

They are safe in laboratory and software calculating environment. To be fair though, measuring and calculation apparatus used these days are much better than say, ten years ago. Not to mention the IGU industry has vastly improved their products over the years too.

It is very important to pay close attention to condition factors (I know LLumar includes them) to come away with most accurate number before determine safe or unsafe for the glazing unit in question. And always call in for tech support input if unsure.

Interestingly, copper based products are practically as safe as mirrored film (on those charts) however install it to an east facing in the hills outside Ashville NC and somethings gonna give. My theory is that copper handles heat build up and spread differently than aluminum.

Also, these days you simply cannot assume that IGU is clear. The lowE and solar control coatings are practically invisible unless you know what to look for. Measuring device help immensely toward being more precise.

I bet most of you are already installing film with SA >50% and you probably don't even realize it... :twocents

I imagine auto film has huge SA #s, At the end of the day fil will either reflect, absorb or transmit heat. If you don't want a mirror.. It's going to absorb the heat.. No other place it can go.

I bet most of you are already installing film with SA >50% and you probably don't even realize it... :twocents

I imagine auto film has huge SA #s, At the end of the day fil will either reflect, absorb or transmit heat. If you don't want a mirror.. It's going to absorb the heat.. No other place it can go.

Yes, absolutely Tom. Auto can be way up there especially carbon and IR absorbing dyed films. But I'm referring to flat glass films with assumed low TESa... like Sterling 20 or similar. Most people say things like "I never install anything over 50%..." and I'm saying "I bet you actually do and don't even know it."

the only llumar DR film that's a damn near guaranteed glass breaker up here is DR25.     i don't even offer it.

Past threads here talk about that.... Anything DR in the 5-35% vlt is like playing Russian Roulette.. But there are no empty chambers.

Archived