L.O.T.P. #492

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was watching TV and someone took a glass out of the freezer to use in having a beer.. Which I personally know a few people who have glasses in their freezer for drinks, I assume beer specifically.

Someone else said you shouldn't do that... so I googled... What I found was pretty interesting, and totally makes sense, IMO.

So exactly why are frosted glasses a no-no? To simply put it, extremely cold beer hinders the development of volatile compounds that make up the complex aroma and flavor of your beer. Beer that is too cold literally has a numbing effect on your tongue. Frosted beer glasses also cause ice crystals to form on the inside of the glass, further oxidizing the beer beyond intended oxidation levels.

what temperature is best to serve beer? This varies for different beer styles. Do you like Pilsner, Light Lager, Kolsch, Hefeweizen or Wheat beer? Try 40-45 degrees. For Pale Ales, Porters, and Irish or Sweet Stouts, it’s 45-50. Sour Ales, Lambics, Belgians, Bocks and Scotch Ales should be in the range of 50-55. And Imperial Stouts, Belgian Quads, Dopplebocks and Old Ales should be around 55-60 degrees.

http://webeerlongtogether.com/2014/03/11/why-you-shouldnt-drink-beer-from-or-serve-it-in-frosted-glasses-and-other-fun-beer-drinking-nuances/

Interesting.  I've heard some of that before.  I like mine cold but not freezing.  warm or room temp :wrong 

:hmmm   Two Guns and Lone Survivor just aren't the same after you hear Good Vibrations on the radio and think,  that guy used to be in a boy band :gasp

Archived