Dust dots

Hello my name is corey nelson id first like to thank everyone who post very helpful info on here although i just made an account i read alot i have been tinting for 3 years now just upgraded to a plotter and doing jobs alot more now than i used too and im starting to wonder how much contamination is too much i razor windows scrub them clean/tap off it seems no matter what i do there are always a couple dust specs i wonder somtimes if im being to anal maybe im just getting too precise about my windows after all u are putting film on a window the odds of getting it perfect are slim any tips are appreciated

very seldom will you have a truly "perfect" window....

How much contamination is too much?  All depends on the situation.  As long as you exceed what your customer wants then it is all good!  With this you also have to know when to tell a customer that a window is acceptable instead of redoing it. 

If the vehicle is some dirt box then my personal expectation goes down.  If I am at some of the shops I work in then my expectation goes down as I can NOT control the environment enough to get what I expect.  If I am tinting a brand new, very clean vehicle in a very clean shop then I expect it to look as perfect as I can ever do.

So, do the best you can and attempt to exceed all your customers expectations!

I just did a windshield strip on a Dodge Ram. It's being used as a farm truck and was filthy! I did everything I could to get as much dust and dirt away from everything surrounding the glass and it came out with more contamination then normal. That's when I just stood back and told myself that I did the best I could with what I am working with. 

i razor windows scrub them clean/tape off

You know, for years I used and recommended the white scrub pads; up until I faced contamination problems when installing 900+ squares. I switched to a plastic mesh scrub pad (no sponge like the Dobie) and squares began looking so much better with less effort and rinsing.

Now, I'll be one of the first to say, don't use the white scrubbies!

Small specks behind the film can come from numerous places. One could be improper prep, another could be contaminated water, another could be from a dirty worth space, another could be dirt transfer from your hands or clothing. Among dozens of other possibilities. IMO, roll ups should in almost all cases be done to the level where any other tinter in another shop would say " looks good to me". In almost 30 years I don't think I have seen a "perfect" instillation but have seen many many outstanding instillations. I believe rear windows may have a bit more latitude with a spec of dust in them. Not to say you can leave a 1" hair behind the film but if you have a single tiny speck at the bottom of a sedan that has rear glass at a 12* angle with 3" to slide film over a headrest against a shag rug headliner.. I think it passes inspection.

Small specks behind the film can come from numerous places. One could be improper prep, another could be contaminated water, another could be from a dirty worth space, another could be dirt transfer from your hands or clothing. Among dozens of other possibilities. IMO, roll ups should in almost all cases be done to the level where any other tinter in another shop would say " looks good to me". In almost 30 years I don't think I have seen a "perfect" instillation but have seen many many outstanding instillations. I believe rear windows may have a bit more latitude with a spec of dust in them. Not to say you can leave a 1" hair behind the film but if you have a single tiny speck at the bottom of a sedan that has rear glass at a 12* angle with 3" to slide film over a headrest against a shag rug headliner.. I think it passes inspection.

x2

I've never heard of them, it's something you can't seem to get in Aus :/

Should be able to find them in a local grocery store. They usually come in a 2 pack in a green and yellow box made by Scotch Brite. They are called Dobie. Not sure if they are available in Australia but here is a link to what they look like.  

http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BriteBrand/Scotch-Brite/Cleanliving/Geeky-Clean/Anatomy/Dobie-All-Purpose/

Archived