Out of state tags?

Had an interesting convo with a police officer the other day. He informed me that they could literally do nothing about these guys running around with 20 on their front windshields as they have out of state tags. Anybody heard of this? I am strictly legal and this guy down the street doing these installs is starting to get under my skin.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would argue the opposite. Little thing called Equal Protection clause to US Constitution.

This cop's logic is what got the Georgia tint law thrown out by the Georgia Supreme court.

Ask him if I can bring some (California) San Fernando Valley O.G. Kush through the state of Kansas with my California, Washington, or Colorado doctor's recommendation.

My girl and I argued this same point just that day. She's from Colorado and was specifically told by a sheriff who stopped her that it was illegal to bring any back even though she has her red card.

Guest kccartint

They can and I have had customers get nailed in IL on numerous occasions since our laws allow darker film then theirs.  I do not think its right unless its blatantly illegal and I am sure a lot of officers take the same approach since the law can be viewed in many different ways on a lot of things.  Depends on what outcome you want.  My customers were told if its on my roads then you follow my state laws.  

Guest tintnmoreok

I've always thought if you were legal in your home state (state your car is tagged in) you couldn't be ticketed in other states.  Is this not true?

Technically, I believe that they can enforce the prevailing laws of the State you are in. They can issue a citation for the law that is broken. Depending on how long you are staying in that state, you could in fact appear in front of the judge and plead your case that your state allows a darker percentage and the judge would probably throw the ticket out. But it is ultimately the discretion of officer whether to issue a ticket or not. It would be like trying to fight a DWI in a state that has a legal limit of 0.08% BAC when your state accepts a 0.10% BAC.

I think another way to look at it would be thus, If I have 50% front windows and I live in Iowa (state tint law is 70% front windows) and I drive to Missouri (35% front windows) can the Missouri officer write me a ticket for illegal tint because I am breaking my own Iowa tint law? This is basically the reverse of the above situation.

Good points all. But Kansas the Kansas tint law specifically states it applies to vehicles that are legally required to be registered in our state. Not ones that currently are. I imagine all they have to says is that they are here visiting only.

Archived