100% UV blocking film

Hi all. I have a customer who's factory has a room that requires 100% UV protection.

They currently have a non adhesive amber film taped to the window frames but now want an adhesive amber film stuck to the glass.

They were told 3M make a film but I'm yet to find it. 

I've contacted all my normal film suppliers and just waiting for a response from them but non sounded to confident so just wondered if any of you had any experience with this and an idea where I could get it from.

Cheers,

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Is this an interior window or exterior window? If it is exterior then call your client and ask them specifically: "Between what wavelengths do you want 0% UV transmission?" and... "Are you ok with any UV transmission above 380nm?"

UV wavelengths that make it from the sun through our atmosphere to your glass runs from about 280-400nm. Glass blocks most (not all) of the shorter UVB wavenlengths but allows the longer UVA wavelengths to transmit through.

Where you will find the challenge is that many film manufactures measure UV rejection rather than transmission and they only measure up too about 380nm +/-. That leaves the remaining wavelengths above 380nm in question. So even if someone claims "100% UV rejection" (I know someone who does... :gasp )they are probably failing to specify what is transmitting above 380nm. That is the crux question. :twocents

The other problem is more of a disclosure issue that you will have to decide whether to mention or not. UV absorbers in film wear out at varying rates depending on film construction and others factors. IF there is such a thing as 100% UV rejection, it will not last a lifetime or even 15 or years.

So what is the significance of the last 20 nm in the UV spectrem Rob? Does that require visible light rejection to combat or is it a matter of testing?

Good question... it is technically ultra-violet which is invisible to the human eye. It can be filtered or absorbed to varying degrees but it requires a specialized more expensive film component (amber can filter a bit more). The problem is that most meters do not test those wavelengths so you have to use an expensive piece of equipment to see if those wavelengths are transmitting.

I think in situations like this one, it is good to be aware that UV rejection numbers you are given in many cases are a similar situation as you see with IR percentages. Not all upper UV wavelengths are always taken into consideration. 

:yeah Or, brick and mortar and selective lighting.

Agreed.

Those are the conditions you find at a semiconductor fabrication facility, where no UV whatsoever can be tolerated (or it will etch the wafers).  Solid walls and carefully chosen lighting are what you find in places like that.  If the application is that critical and 0.0000% is the objective - I do not believe that even the best film can deliver.  It can only come close.

-Howard

-Howard

Hi all, thanks for you're help so far, it's much appreciated as its been a quick lesson on UV for myself as I'm know where near as knowledgeable as I should be on this subject.

These are interior windows, they also require the ceiling lights tinting. The company creates Electronic items.

I've put the request in to find out exactly what range of UV they require protection from. When we first met they told me another company have told them they could supply and install an amber film made by 3M which would stop 100% Uv rays up to 500nm, although with the research I have done since I can't find anything 3M make similar to that and I'm beginning to think that was just  typical sales talk crap.

I have found a film that may be what I'm after I'm just awaiting to hear from there rep tomorrow, although its not from a window film manufacturer, the normal suppliers don't seem to do anything like that although Ian from SG is getting back to me tomorrow regarding the best film they can supply and then I'l do a trail with that, you never know they may not require the level of protection they think but we'll find out.

Thanks again all,

Duncan

Archived