Power to legislate window film

Guest metint

I am sure this has been addressed before and I'm also sure it will get many wound up, but OT asked a question and I said I would get an answer.

Kind of long winded, but... what's new from metint. :rollin

OT,

This is how it was explained to metint:

If left to the manufacturers to fight legislative and regulatory battles alone, they would tilt the outcome to their favor with no regard for competitive practices, public safety or health.

Legislative bodies generally will or do not listen to the concerns of just one, two or three companies, they will however hear out concerns from an organization or group representative of all who are doing business within a given industry. They also prefer voters from their districts over the voice of an outsider. Having said that, if any manufacturer claims to be assisting a State legislative body in the writing of their tint law, it is through local dealer representation and/or IWFA State representative who may work within a certain manufacturer?s network.

This is why the IWFA was formed. They are the window film industry?s representative body that can and do bring the film industry?s concerns before any legislative body that will hear them. The larger the number of members a given industry representative association has enrolled, the louder the voice, and the likelihood of getting heard increases dramatically.

Many window tinters do not see the benefit in being a member of the IWFA and choose not to join or join only to not renew their membership. With this happening, the resulting effect is an industry representative organization seriously under-funded compared to the resources needed to do battle when legislative and regulatory concerns become an issue demanding their attention. Like any other organization operating on a budget, they may end up prioritizing their focus to those issues the film industry would benefit most from by their interdictive involvement. Sometimes, like any similar scenario, they may not do what is important based upon one company or one individual?s particular wishes or needs.

If every legitimate company in the window film industry were an active member of the IWFA year after year, they would certainly have the resources to do more for the industry over all. This is not the case and until the perception changes the IWFA will continue to do as best as they can for the good of our industry with the resources they have to work with.

CPF, with the assistance of the Skin Cancer Foundation helped get the law in California changed from no film on the front 2 doors to a clear film for UV protection. California was not interested at first and very unwilling to change their existing law when approached by just one industry. Once the SCF became a part of the equation the direction changed to accepting a very light film product.

Texas recently benefited by active involvement of film dealers, industry players and the IWFA. Any tinter in the USA who wants to become active in reforming the tint law of their State is more than welcome to contact the IWFA for information on what role they can play in the process. Again, legislators are more inclined to listen to voters in their districts than to listen to outsiders.

9 Southern States benefited from IWFA involvement when a manufacturer of a specific type of window tried to get their window (sentinel?) written into the building code for hurricane protection in the months following the hit South Florida took from Andrew in ?92. If it had been adopted, it would have been disastrous for the flat glass film industry because the window glass already would have a film type protective layer, which could not have additional layers added or retrofitted.

In the conversation I had with the persons contacted for this write up it was said that the IWFA and industry members are, today, active in Illinois as that State looks at changing their tint law. This also brought back the memory of a very similar conversation I had with a tinter from NY who very much wanted to get active and see what he can do. Kind of like the Brit's are doing right now.

That?s the long of it, OT, the short of it I have posted in bold letters. Everything go ?round in circles? back to the IWFA. :rollin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks metint. I've found out a few things on my own about the issue. I'm getting the word out on a very local level for now. I've done all this before about 10 years ago, tried to organize, spent alot of time contacting state reps. Nothing natta. I don't have the answers, but I don't honestly think the IWFA does either. They got UV to be accepted in Cali? Wow! :thumb Why bother? They are supposedly working on something in Illinois, when I hear more, and actually talk to the rep, I'm more than willing to support them. I just think there's alot of waste in the organization. I thought they got money from the manufacturers. Alot of money. And if I'm not a member, why aren't they contacting me to BE a member? I'll try and keep an open mind about them, but they need to be more accountable. Like not coming on this site and turning around to rip the site and it's members. :lol6 They work for US, not vice versa. Does anyone give money to an organization without any input or solicitation from that organization? If they do, in my mind they are foolish.

Guest thetintshop

first thing I want to know is, what kind of money does the president of the IWFA make? cause I bet you can see right there where the majority of your dues are going.

$10 says all of the members at tintdude could make a bigger impact with less money using a retired installer on a decent salary. (interested OT?) :thumb

I don't know exactly the impact the IWFA made on senator ogden, but I sure got under his skin. I called that mutherfocker everyday for 2 damn weeks. my wife called several times a day. until finally they got the damn message. one of the people at his office told me A LOT of shops had been calling and complaining, and they would probably not pass the law. and of course, it didn't pass. all thanks to the IWFA, according to the IWFA anyway.

Guest thetintshop

exactly. if I'm a member, shouldn't I have access to ALL this information? you can damn well bet I know the salary of the preacher of our church, I have access to all the minutes, I have access to where ALL our money goes, ect. WHY? because I pay my "dues" and I'm a member. I'm entitled to ALL that kind of information. why is the IWFA not set up on these same standards?

Guest thetintshop

I paid my dues one year. when I got their little "pamphlet" in the mail, I was like "this is what I'm paying for?". needless to say, I didn't renew. customers weren't impressed with the little sticker either. :rollin

Guest thetintshop

could you imagine what kind of "damage" we could do within 5 years? if tintdude became an organization like the IWFA, I bet everything the members would go to 10 times what we have now within 1 year.

the reason the IWFA rags on this site is because tintdude IS WHAT THEY WANT TO BE.

Archived