Which film for residential: Prestige 70 or LX-70?

Guest olof

I've tried to do my homework, but as end-user I'm finding it difficult to understand all the facts of residential window films. There are simply to many numbers and testing standards flying around for me to understand and compare it all.

Could anybody perhaps provide me with some insight on how to choose between two films?

My wish list for our large windows in order of priority:

1. Significantly reduce UV & relevant Infrared. To preserve furniture etc..

2. As little coloring/tints as possible. I.e. maintain neutral light color

3. Maintain as much as possible the light intensity (lux)

4. Reduction of heat. However we live in Northern Europe, temperatures are mild over here. So this is the least important wish.

In researching films, it looks like that the best options would be one of these two films.

A. LX-70 (Bekaert, SolarGuard, it's sold under various names in Europe)

B. Prestige 70 (3M)

Please find below some specs which I found, but which I'm unable to relate sufficiently in relation to my wish list. I do know that LX-70 has a slight greenish tint to it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Olof

LX 70:

Testing method: CEN w/LBNL Windows software 5.2

Window type: double pane 4-12-4mm, clear glass

source: www.solargard.co.uk/Residential/Perf_Solar

Visible Light transmittance (%): 65

Visible Light Reflectance Exterior (%): 16

Visible Light Reflectance Interior (%): 13

Emissivity: .77

U-Value (W/m2): 2.82

Shading Coefficient: .58

Ultraviolet Transmittance (%) 300-380 nanometers: >99

Total Solar Energy Rejected (%): 50

Solar Transmittance (%): 32

Solar Absorptance (%): 40

Solar Reflectance (%): 28

Solar Heat Gain Coefficient: .50

Prestige 70:

Testing Method: ?

Glass type: double pane clear (1/4")

Source: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Sun_Control_Window_Films/Prestige_Series/ ://http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...estige_Series/

Visible Light transmittance (%): 61

Visible light reflected Exterior (%): 16

Visible light reflected Interior (%): 13

Emissivity: .78

U-value: .46

Shading coefficient: .64

UV Rejected (%) 99.9

Total Solar Energy Rejected (%): 44

Infrared rejected (%): 97% (spectrum??)

Glare reduction (%): 23

Luminous Efficacy: .95

Out of those two, the SolarGard film. The number that matters most is the TSER. This number is more important than IR, b/c it gives the total performance of the film.

The spectrum you have in question for 3M is based b/t 900nm-1000nm...just a sliver of the total measurable spectrum (approx 780nm-2500nm). This is where the Prestige performs best, but you are getting the entire spectrum in your home, so this number on Prestige is misleading.

Thanks for the reply and the extra information! I will focus then mostly on TSER values.

As you start with 'out of those two,..' may I assume that there are other films more suitable for me than the two I've found?

Thanks for the reply and the extra information! I will focus then mostly on TSER values.

As you start with 'out of those two,..' may I assume that there are other films more suitable for me than the two I've found?

Yes:

Huper Optik, V-Kool may be of interest. I'd also note that the Hilite 70 V-Kool and Huper offer better clarity than the Prestige 70

First of all I'm biased. I sell Panorama Hilite (Lx70 in other parts of the world). That being said Hilite is a film like no other. It is the only infrared reflecting film, the rest are absorbing that infrared energy. For quick reference Hilite has a solar absorption of 28% on clear single pane glass. Vkool 70 is at 38.5% and 3M and Huper chose not to make that information readily available.

I personally believe shading coefficient to be one of the best ways to compare window films. TSER is used only in this industry. Shading Coefficient and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient are used in regards to numerous other fenestration products for comparison purposes.

Here is a link explaining Shading Coefficient - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shading_coefficient

First, I would only use NFRC numbers to compare films, not what is printed on their literature or on their website. NFRC uses standardized testing so that you truly know that you are comparing apples to apples. After you have unbiased performance figures to compare, I would make your decision based on the company doing the install, company standing behind the product, price, etc. There are a handful of companies out there that make a quality product and stand behind it. Do your research and speak to the installation companies. Then make your decision based on the overall package of service, price, warranty, etc. Remember, if someone seems to biased toward a particular product, they probably are.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide information.

I will look into NFRC numbers, but also into Shading Coefficient and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient and dig into the two (to me yet unknown) products Huper Optik and V-Kool.

Thanks again!

Olof

I personally believe shading coefficient to be one of the best ways to compare window films. TSER is used only in this industry. Shading Coefficient and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient are used in regards to numerous other fenestration products for comparison purposes.

Hi LTL,

Well said. I am with you on that. So is the IWFA and NFRC.

-Howard

Hi LTL,

Well said. I am with you on that. So is the IWFA and NFRC.

-Howard

Doesnt the films that are NFRC certified base the TSER using a formula that uses SHGC and SC? If so, then why not look at the final number?

Guest fredstinting
I've tried to do my homework, but as end-user I'm finding it difficult to understand all the facts of residential window films. There are simply to many numbers and testing standards flying around for me to understand and compare it all.

Could anybody perhaps provide me with some insight on how to choose between two films?

My wish list for our large windows in order of priority:

1. Significantly reduce UV & relevant Infrared. To preserve furniture etc..

2. As little coloring/tints as possible. I.e. maintain neutral light color

3. Maintain as much as possible the light intensity (lux)

4. Reduction of heat. However we live in Northern Europe, temperatures are mild over here. So this is the least important wish.

In researching films, it looks like that the best options would be one of these two films.

A. LX-70 (Bekaert, SolarGuard, it's sold under various names in Europe)

B. Prestige 70 (3M)

what ever you do don't use 3m film. i used it for about 1 year and most of the jobs here in faded and the film had issues some of the film could not but install had to be warranty from 3m ..... 100's off feet of film im guessing it was a manufacture flaw that the 3m florida distributor got the bad rolls

Please find below some specs which I found, but which I'm unable to relate sufficiently in relation to my wish list. I do know that LX-70 has a slight greenish tint to it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Olof

LX 70:

Testing method: CEN w/LBNL Windows software 5.2

Window type: double pane 4-12-4mm, clear glass

source: www.solargard.co.uk/Residential/Perf_Solar

Visible Light transmittance (%): 65

Visible Light Reflectance Exterior (%): 16

Visible Light Reflectance Interior (%): 13

Emissivity: .77

U-Value (W/m2): 2.82

Shading Coefficient: .58

Ultraviolet Transmittance (%) 300-380 nanometers: >99

Total Solar Energy Rejected (%): 50

Solar Transmittance (%): 32

Solar Absorptance (%): 40

Solar Reflectance (%): 28

Solar Heat Gain Coefficient: .50

Prestige 70:

Testing Method: ?

Glass type: double pane clear (1/4")

Source: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Sun_Control_Window_Films/Prestige_Series/ ://http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...estige_Series/ ://http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...estige_Series/

Visible Light transmittance (%): 61

Visible light reflected Exterior (%): 16

Visible light reflected Interior (%): 13

Emissivity: .78

U-value: .46

Shading coefficient: .64

UV Rejected (%) 99.9

Total Solar Energy Rejected (%): 44

Infrared rejected (%): 97% (spectrum??)

Glare reduction (%): 23

Luminous Efficacy: .95

Archived