Question for shop owners

just curious ..my floor is cement and I sweep & spray it down as part of my ritual with no problems. I would like to do something with the floor like paint it or cover it with something but I want it so it cleans easy, will last, it's not slippery when wet..any suggestions or something you did in a similar circumstance?

Thanks , The Wiz :spit

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thetintshop

I would love to paint my floor too. but everytime I see a painted concrete floor, it's always coming off in high traffic areas. autotint has a green floor. maybe he can shed some light on this. I know it can be done permanently when the concrete is poured, but I'm scared to death to paint it cause I don't want it looking like sh!t in a few months.

but I'm scared to death to paint it cause I don't want it looking like sh!t in a few months.

This is my fear too..it's what has kept me from doing it yrs ago..I don't know much about paint..I'm sure I'd pick the wrong kind to do this with :spit

Guest thetintshop

the "concrete paint" you see at stores won't work for sh!t. I helped a freind do it and it was all coming off within a year. there has to be something that will work, and not make the floor slippery. I'm just not willing to be a guinea pig.

I helped a freind do it and it was all coming off within a year. there has to be something that will work, and not make the floor slippery. I'm just not willing to be a guinea pig.

:spit excactly ..that 's the reason for the post..see who came up with something and who f&*$ up! :lol

Check out that textured covering that they sell for your home garages. I know they make that stuff in a professional grade, because I worked at a hydraulic component lab that had it done. Even with heavy hydraulic equipment being dropped on it, and fork truck driving on it, there was no sign of wear. This textured sealer was sprayed on professionally and colored to choice.

did it look like it would clean up easy ? ..the main thing I worry about is the "slip and fall" issue..so it would have to have a "grip" to it, yet still be able to clean it easy..

Guest Litespeeds

My floors are Epoxy painted but there are alot of different types. DO NOT get the one part premixed epoxy paint as this is not good for high traffic areas. You need to spend about $100 per gallon on a 2 part mix that you physically mix together and stir it up. This will give you a few hours to use before it starts to harden up.

Alot of the work is prepping the floors with some form of acid to remove all grease and other contaminants.

At my house, I had them professionally epoxy paint my floors and they actually took a sander and sanded the concrete. Removed all the dust and then painted the floor. It has been about 5+ years now and there are only a couple of very small areas where the paint chipped off. It is a great floor but it is very slippery when wet. You can actually add some sand or other non-slip agent into the paint to help but that will reduce the ease of cleanup.

The best way to clean these floors is to spray water over it and run a floor squeegee over it.

Archived