Last one to post #44

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I format and reinstall every 6 months. Have a folder full of install files and just back up my folder. Takes 2-3 hours tops

I used to do that, then I bought a Macbook Pro. :thumb

dosnt matter what computer it is, itll get fragmented and nothing runs as fast and clean as a fresh drive

I format and reinstall every 6 months. Have a folder full of install files and just back up my folder. Takes 2-3 hours tops

buy a mac and be done with that garbage

dosnt matter what computer it is, itll get fragmented and nothing runs as fast and clean as a fresh drive

wish I had a really good bar fight story for this!

0918002140.jpg

what the heck happened

Guest Tint-Factory Car Shine II
About optimization and fragmentation

Disk optimization is a process in which the physical locations of files on a volume are "streamlined." Files and metadata are re-arranged in order to improve data access times and minimize time moving a hard drive's head.

Files can become "fragmented" over time as they are changed and saved and as the volume is filled, with different parts of a single file stored in different locations on a volume. The process of collecting file fragments and putting them "back together" is known as optimization. However, if a failure occurs during optimization, such as power loss, files could become damaged and need to be restored from a backup copy.

Products Affected

Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.2, Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS X 10.0, Mac OS X 10.5

Do I need to optimize?

You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X. Here's why:

* Hard disk capacity is generally much greater now than a few years ago. With more free space available, the file system doesn't need to fill up every "nook and cranny." Mac OS Extended formatting (HFS Plus) avoids reusing space from deleted files as much as possible, to avoid prematurely filling small areas of recently-freed space.

* Mac OS X 10.2 and later includes delayed allocation for Mac OS X Extended-formatted volumes. This allows a number of small allocations to be combined into a single large allocation in one area of the disk.

* Fragmentation was often caused by continually appending data to existing files, especially with resource forks. With faster hard drives and better caching, as well as the new application packaging format, many applications simply rewrite the entire file each time. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther can also automatically defragment such slow-growing files. This process is sometimes known as "Hot-File-Adaptive-Clustering."

* Aggressive read-ahead and write-behind caching means that minor fragmentation has less effect on perceived system performance.

:lol2:lol

:beer

Archived