Heat shrink gun temp

Guest marcm

Guest marcm

HI all,

as a newbie to the forum, I have been looking to tint my car and have a fair amount of experience on tinting flat glass.

I have tinted my cars when I was a nipper (they tended to have flat glass in those days and for the curved bit I pieced it)

I have been thinking about heat shrinking the rear window but have a bit of a worry about bubling the paint when using the heat gun.

The heat gun I have only has two temperature settings, which is ideal for stripping headlights apart, but I see most videos use a heat gun with a temp dial on the back. How hot does the heat gun need to be to shrink the film and not damage the paint ?

Thanks in advance.

marcm

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest secretagentswole

Standard heat guns reach 450 degrees max in 4 mins. Tint will start to soften around 160 degrees, shrinks at around 180 to 220, starts to crystalize at 250 and melts at 260+.

Dont geuss and crank up the gun to 1000+ cause it will go that high, thats kinda asinine.

Guest h0wld0g

I use wagner ht 3500 digital... straight from wagner site... The HT3500 is the first digital heat gun introduced into the DIY market. Digital circuitry provides multiple benefits. Touch-pads activate 12 distinct temperature settings from 250° to 1350° F...... my heat gun wont even go to as low as 220 degrees so even if yours does which is probably a hair dryer you will be heat shrinking all day and that my friend would be asinine

Guest marcm

Thanks guys, I will give it a go. This is the most helpful forum I have been on. :rollin

Good job I've got 50m of the stuff so I can play until I get it right.

Guest secretagentswole
We use lots of those wagner digital's and crank them all the way up on high :dunno

Just keep move'n! :dunno

always put it on high

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/dual...,43305,747.html

entry level heat gun on high max temp is 1000 degrees F. It takes a few to even reach this temp. usually by the time your done shrinking its just gettin to a G.

I have never really seen the purpose in using a digital gun. there more expensize and Heavier. plus I dont know bout you but we occasionally pull a smooth one and run em over.

Archived