91 ford mustang rear glass

Guest dwizzle

Guest dwizzle

Well, I am not a professional tinter, but I have tinted a few cars, and I also work for a performance shop. I own a 91 ford mustang notch back (with the trunk not the hatch). I am having a heck of a time getting the rear tint to shrink down correctly. I am using the wet method, but was thinking the dry dryer sheet method might be a better way to do my car (which I have never done, and really dont want to ruin another peice of tint). My problem seems to be that I get alot of horizontal fingers down by the bottom outer edges of the tint. I am able to shrink it down at the top, and at the bottom, except for the 2 corners. I end up with alot of fingers going all different directions, and no matter how I try it, they just dont shrink down. I was thinking that I may need to do an "H" pattern for the anchor, which should give me larger fingers toward the middle top, but everything I read says I should NOT use an "H" pattern with the wet method. I am not nearly experienced enough to really know. Does anyone have advice for this rear window? For the record, the rest of the car turned out fine. I didnt get any noticeable contamination, or dust in the tint on the other 4 windows. .

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

take it to a pro , I mean that in a friendly way. That window is not terribly difficult, but it does require advanced skills compared to alot of newer cars

Guest deeptint3
Well, I am not a professional tinter, but I have tinted a few cars, and I also work for a performance shop. I own a 91 ford mustang notch back (with the trunk not the hatch). I am having a heck of a time getting the rear tint to shrink down correctly. I am using the wet method, but was thinking the dry dryer sheet method might be a better way to do my car (which I have never done, and really dont want to ruin another peice of tint). My problem seems to be that I get alot of horizontal fingers down by the bottom outer edges of the tint. I am able to shrink it down at the top, and at the bottom, except for the 2 corners. I end up with alot of fingers going all different directions, and no matter how I try it, they just dont shrink down. I was thinking that I may need to do an "H" pattern for the anchor, which should give me larger fingers toward the middle top, but everything I read says I should NOT use an "H" pattern with the wet method. I am not nearly experienced enough to really know. Does anyone have advice for this rear window? For the record, the rest of the car turned out fine. I didnt get any noticeable contamination, or dust in the tint on the other 4 windows. .

Dry shrinking would probably work better for this window.. If I remember, there is not alot of room to work out the fingers in the bottom corners. You can try to shrink out as much of the bottom as possible and then raise the film up abit off the bottom edge to give yourself more room to finish shrinking out the film.Also, try more water or fabric softener in the area that is giving you trouble.I think I remove the rear deck on those also for a easier install.. Good luck Man! :thumb

Guest a1wintinter
take it to a pro , I mean that in a friendly way. That window is not terribly difficult, but it does require advanced skills compared to alot of newer cars

:thumb

Guest darkdan

I just did one last month:

notchmustang.jpg

Not hard with the soap method. I think all I did was shrink the bottom corners, maybe a little bit at top.

The hard part was getting a 15+ year old car clean! Luckily he kept his ride pretty decent.

Now the tricky part is the shifting roll down windows.

Just take it to a pro. Do you really want your nice Mustang looking like a DIY job?

Now the tricky part is the shifting roll down windows.

30-60 seconds and the panels are off, then just cut your front, drop the glass down, cut your top and back, finish it up on the glass with a straight edge. prep the glass, peel the whole liner and drop the bastard down the door, just don't get tangled up on the guides and you are home free, nice tight edges and nice and clean.

Guest tintgod

if I remember correctly...the front nose on the inside has a different angle the the outside..do to the mirror on the outside...and the back edge of the glass comes away from the seal.

I roll the window down to expose the back edge of the glass ..trim the back edge..slide the film to create a small gap on the back edge of glass and then trim your top edge..I take my pattern off and lay it in the glass in the inside..with the film hanging over the back edge of the glass just a bit and trim my nose section...the do the final triming on the peeler

Guest darkdan

I did it the way Mr. Neon explained it minus the door panel removal.

But there was about 1/4" in play with the window. I compensated nicely....on the 2nd try. LOL.

Archived