Is this normal?

Guest SuperCooper

Guest SuperCooper

I have a few questions. I recently bought a new Mini Cooper, and I had the windows tinted at the dealer. (on Tuesday) There are quite a few bubbles, especially around the outer edges of the window where the frit (think that's what it's called) fades into the clear glass. People have told me that the bubbles will go away. Is that true? Secondly, in some places you can see where the tint doesn't totally cover the glass. There's little cracks around the edges here and there. Don't get me wrong, they are little. (maybe a millimeter or less) Is that normal? Lastly, on the passenger side, the rubber felt thing that seals between the door and the window is angled down instead of up like it's suppose to be. I'm not sure if that's caused by the tinting, or if it's something that happened at the factory. If I take it to the dealer, I'm sure they would fix it. Only, the dealer is about an hour and a half away. Is there a way I can fix it myself? ...or should I take it in? Thanks in advance. :-)

Definately take it to the dealer for the seal! Whether or not it is a defect or from the tinting take it to the dealer to be on the safe side, especially since you had the tint done through the dealer!

As for the bubbles, it will probably dry. Give it a couple of weeks :beer

Daylight, can you live with it :beer if so leave it alone, if it is sooooo minor it is better than having it redone. Buy a black maker (non washable kind, can't think of wht they are called) and fill in the hair of daylight yourself...OR take it back and let the tinter do it!

On that car you should not have any dyalight that I can think of but some tinters cut so close to the frit they leave a hair (and I mean a hair) of daylight!

Definately take it to the dealer for the seal! Whether or not it is a defect or from the tinting take it to the dealer to be on the safe side, especially since you had the tint done through the dealer!

As for the bubbles, it will probably dry. Give it a couple of weeks :beer

Daylight, can you live with it :beer if so leave it alone, if it is sooooo minor it is better than having it redone. Buy a black maker (non washable kind, can't think of wht they are called) and fill in the hair of daylight yourself...OR take it back and let the tinter do it!

On that car you should not have any dyalight that I can think of but some tinters cut so close to the frit they leave a hair (and I mean a hair) of daylight!

S-MSWerd.gif

I have a few questions. I recently bought a new Mini Cooper, and I had the windows tinted at the dealer. (on Tuesday) There are quite a few bubbles, especially around the outer edges of the window where the frit (think that's what it's called) fades into the clear glass. People have told me that the bubbles will go away. Is that true? Secondly, in some places you can see where the tint doesn't totally cover the glass. There's little cracks around the edges here and there. Don't get me wrong, they are little. (maybe a millimeter or less) Is that normal? Lastly, on the passenger side, the rubber felt thing that seals between the door and the window is angled down instead of up like it's suppose to be. I'm not sure if that's caused by the tinting, or if it's something that happened at the factory. If I take it to the dealer, I'm sure they would fix it. Only, the dealer is about an hour and a half away. Is there a way I can fix it myself? ...or should I take it in? Thanks in advance. :-)

The lifted film around the frit dots can be pressed down when the film dries in a couple of days.

If there are bubbles outside of the frit area, it may just be water which will dry out. If the bubbles are very small like the size of a pin head and are white, then they are caused by dirt contamination and will not go away. A little contamination here or there is normal.

The gaps around the edges may be the micro edge at the top of the roll down windows, they really shouldn't be anywhere else.

The felt pointing down may right it'self when you roll the windows down then back up, if they don't pop back up, take it back to the tinter and have him lift them out with a hook tool.

Guest SuperCooper

Thank you for help. I'll let the tint dry a few more days. Then I'll try rolling the glass up and down to see if the felt pops up. If that doesn't work, I'll definitely take it in to the dealer. Thanks again. :beer

Guest willie
Thank you for help. I'll let the tint dry a few more days. Then I'll try rolling the glass up and down to see if the felt pops up. If that doesn't work, I'll definitely take it in to the dealer. Thanks again. :)

when rolling it down roll it all the way down before starting back up :)

Guest SuperCooper

I've decided that I can't live with daylight coming through. I looked at it closer today. It's the back passenger side window. The tint is the right size; it's just too far to the left which leaves some gaps (about a millimeter) on the right side of the window. My brother's actually the one that pointed it out to me. (I don't normally set in my own back seat. lol) If I'm being too picky, I'm willing to pay to have it redone so that I'll be happy with it. :-) Buying a new car and having a tint job that doesn't cover the entire window isn't cool with me. (Actually, looking at it made my stomach turn a little, which is why I have to have it redone.) On the other hand, I don't want to be that annoying costumer who is trying to find things wrong with the tint. (which is why I'll probably just go someplace else to have that window retinted) I'm not worried about dust; there is some, but like I said, you have to look for it. Who's going to walk up to the window looking for imperfections? The bubbles that are close to the frit are going away which makes me happy. :evilgrin Although, there are still some bubbles elsewhere that I'm keeping my eye on. They wouldn't be that bad, but unfortunately, they're fairly large and they're all clustered within a little area in the center of the window, which makes them much more noticeable. I'm hoping they go away. Thanks again for all the help.

Guest solarspot

Sounds to me your not being that picky. If I had a cuctomer come to me with your concerns and were being reasonable like you sound I would feel obligated to make it right :beer It should never left the dealer looking like that but it did. We mainly complain about customers that can't wait to find something or seem to thing they can get a FREE job if they scream loud enough. I would hope that who tinted your car would be professional enough to listen to your comcerns and fix any REAL problems. :beer

Archived