Is there a tint % formula?

Guest CJitty

Guest CJitty

Hello,

I am brand new here to this forum.

Is there a basic math formula to determine tint percentage when applying tint on top of existing tint.

I have a 2003 TL and I currently have 35% all around. My tint is in excellent condition.

I am re-tinting my doors to 20% and I was thinking of adding 20% on top of existing 35% for the rear window.

My thought is, that if I add 20% to 35%, I would end up with about 15%. The factory tint blocks out about 6% of light as well, so 15% - 6% = net result of 9%.

Is that right?

I was going to have them strip of my 35% in the rear and just put 5% like I have done in the past. I wanted to go a little lighter than 5% but my tint guy only has 5, 20 and 35% films.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Guest olletsoc

20% on top of 35% would = 7%. and you should not do it for a few reasons.

one it is illegal everywhere and 2 no one will warranty film on film. not that you would get one anyway

Guest CJitty

Thanks for the reply, but how do you come up with that % ? Also, not worried about my tinter. Been dealing with him for over 10 years and he does superb work and never once did I have an issue with him or the films he has used.

20% on top of 35% would = 7%. and you should not do it for a few reasons.

one it is illegal everywhere and 2 no one will warranty film on film. not that you would get one anyway

Guest CJitty

damn, is it that simple? I was really out the box trying to figure this out, that's why I was never good at math. I never thought to multiply the factors. 35 on 35 is about 12%, so that may be better. Thanks for the formula!

35 * .20 = 7

Archived