Vinyl on side of cars

So im breaking out the noob question of the week.

How long would you consider "safe" to keep vinyl on the side of a vehicle without damage to the paint. like fading etc?

How long does it take for the vinyl to be on the vehicle before it becomes a pain in the arse to take off?

I just bought a brand new Cobalt SS Supercharger and I want to put some vinyl on the side but was thinking about changing it every 2 months or so. Would this be too long?

Well, I'm scared to fade the paint. It's an awesome Laser blue metallic. It looks dark blue during day and almost purple at night and when its cloudy. Sort of like a color changing paint, or perhaps it is.

Anyways. I think I may get tired of the design quickly so I was wondering how long I should/could cahge it without any problems of paint fade or PITA removal.

If I left it on for 2 months in summer heat would it cause me problems for removal? too sticky? adhesive sticking to car? come off in pieces? or would I need to buy that vinyl removal tool that is around $400?

Factory paint has come a long way-I wouldnt think 2 months would affect it at all -but are you really gonna peel it every 2 months??? :lol Use some hi performance vinyl and it will last alot longer than that! :lol

[*]395262

most new cars have a good clearcoat on them that help to prevent fading, I have taken stripes off of cars 3-4 years after and still no fading.

the worst problems I have seen is when people wash alot it leaves small scratches in the paint, but not under the stripes.

will leaving vinyl on a car for 2 months in summer heat cause problems in removal? or will it just peel right off? Or do I have to invest in that $400 vinyl removal tool ?

Guest Al-tint
most new cars have a good clearcoat on them that help to prevent fading,  I have taken stripes off of cars 3-4 years after and still no fading.

the worst problems I have seen is when people wash alot it leaves small scratches in the paint, but not under the stripes.

[*]395311

:bat

Guest Al-tint
will leaving vinyl on a car for 2 months in summer heat cause problems in removal? or will it just peel right off? Or do I have to invest in that $400 vinyl removal tool ?

[*]395316

Nothing will just "peel right off". To get off vinyl you can use-

a) heat gun

b) steamer

c) $400.00 eraser.

With the first two you will need a glue remover.

[*]395316

Nothing will just "peel right off". To get off vinyl you can use-

a) heat gun

b) steamer

c) $400.00 eraser.

With the first two you will need a glue remover.

[*]395318

Will a glue remover harm the clear coat? What do you recommend? Alchohol?

Guest Sharek

Something else to consider......

Fading of the paint may not be the only thing you want to keep in mind. When removing the decals watch for paint lift. Around edges....seems....moldings.

When I worked in a local body shop I would see cars only a year or two old come in to have whole sides or hoods and trunks refinished because of factory defects in the bake process. Alot had to door with the primer. Granted it is far and few between and the process has come along way but it does happen. This isn't a big issue for small decals, but I would think it is something to consider when removing graphics every few months. I would always use something to aid the removal. Put less stress on the paint.

Something else to consider......

Fading of the paint may not be the only thing you want to keep in mind. When removing the decals watch for paint lift. Around edges....seems....moldings.

When I worked in a local body shop I would see cars only a year or two old come in to have whole sides or hoods and trunks refinished because of factory defects in the bake process. Alot had to door with the primer. Granted it is far and few between and the process has come along way but it does happen. This isn't a big issue for small decals, but I would think it is something to consider when removing graphics every few months. I would always use something to aid the removal. Put less stress on the paint.

[*]395345

I would steam it off, but what would you use to remove the glue?

Archived