Competitor wanting me to work for them

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just got done meeting with the guy ...... deal is tint for him at his shop on wed and thur, he supplies the film, we split the money 50/50.  I told him I didnt want to work in his shop due to how dirty it was for the contamination factor.  but he said, well, if I offer tint, I should do it here and not tell the customer I have to take it elsewhere .... hes got a point.  so I told him I wanted glass wall and tint rack, he says ok.  if the contamination factor becomes a problem, ill just tell him I cant do it here anymore, then hell be screwed again.  plus, if the contamination is a factor, all the jobs goin in and out will look like @#$% and make him look bad, so therefore ppl might start going to me.  who knows, im gonna give it a shot for a lil while and see how it goes.  if all else fails, its not like im outta a job or anything.

[*]387008

Sounds like the "guy" is calling the shots, not you.

He came to you, not you to him.

I can't think of any reason I would take him up on any offer that has been presented :bling

Sounds like he has been in biz for a while, and I asure you that to him biz is biz.

You will get the short end of the stick.

No offense to anyone, but this guy is 50+ and prolly wouldnt be tinting himself. And 1PEECBARETTA, theres more than 2 tint shops in the area, just none that do quality work. And I dont think any of them have a tinter from the area. They set up appointments for thursdays and thats when the tinter comes down from out of town and does his h@ck work. I guess its some fat guy whos got a sidekick to do most of the dirty work for him. anyways, im still up in the air bout this, but ill let you guys know when I decide. thanx again!

True true, but theres not much competition in the area as far as quality of work goes that comes close to compairing to mine (cocky, I know), but once the bigger accounts build up and and walk-ins start realizing that my company vehicle is setting outside with all my info on it, theyre gonna start callin me and getting quotes and ill just lower them and bring them my way.  haha.  Plus ive only been open since december and its slow for me right now because not to many people know im in ther area yet.

[*]386978

A. Don't lower your price. I would change your way of thinking.

B. If it's slow right now especially if you are just getting started, I would do what you gotta do. Just don't plan on it being a long term thing.

IMHO :bling

I work for the competitors all the time as a matter of fact I just got home from one competitors shop. Money is money and my time to make them money means my rules! After hours, their cheap ass film ( so even when someone says James did it I can say the job is great the film was theres and is crap sorry about your decision to price shop at the time) And last and most important of all NO ONE WATCHING ME AND NO I CAN"T TEACH YOUR NEPHEW!!! I say go at it dude and make that money and put your retail first :bling

You guys are leaving out a bigger problem here - Let me point it out

Could be the only reason he is getting you down there is to watch you and learn. then is gonna run you off when he thinks he can handle it by himself :lol

You might be training your biggest rival :thumb

[*]387048

Very true? I have trained my competition but I charged them for it? don?t do it. Money can be slow but spring is around the corner and if you do good work they (customers) will come hold out. As a owner of a large shop I say if he wants in the business he needs to find a tinter and deal with it or learn how himself. :lol

I work for the competitors all the time as a matter of fact I just got home from one competitors shop. Money is money and my time to make them money means my rules! After hours, their cheap ass film ( so even when someone says James did it I can say the job is great the film was theres and is crap sorry about your decision to price shop at the time) And last and most important of all NO ONE WATCHING ME AND NO I CAN"T TEACH YOUR NEPHEW!!! I say go at it dude and make that money and put your retail first :thumb

[*]387153

Thats my theory.

Archived