70% LEGAL

Guest rpt

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Over here in England the tint law is 70% for front passenger and driver windows, most cars that come out of the factory have less than 70% visibilty so god knows where that law came from.

Im just starting out and am already noticing people wanting 35% as the lowest tint, some ask for alot less but its mainly 35. What do I do ? do I refuse to do front windows all together or just do minimum 35 and risk it ?? or what sort disclaimer can I give them to say it not my responsibility if they do get pulled ?

Its only really 4x4s and MPVS that want just rear windows doing so that more than halves the market round here.

[*]282623

Hello RPT

DISCLIAMER WILL NOT BE WORTH THE PAPER ITS WRITTEN ON UNLESS WITNESSED BY A SOLICITOR AND THEN YOUR ONLY CONFIRMING THAT YOU ARE AWARE THAT YOU HAVE MADE YOUR CUSTOMERS CAR UNROADWORTHY AND THEREFORE UNINSURED. IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT WHERE WOULD THIS STOP GIVEN THE INFLUX OF NO WIN NO FEE LAWYERS-HOW MUCH YOU GOT TO LOSE

If you continue to fit 35% then you will only provoke yet more aggrevation from V O S A,If you stop and think about it -why are we in this situation

Its due to people passing through the industry!!!.

I have been tinting only auto for ten years now and have witnessed the stereo shops ,signwriters,valeters,and the mobile guys slowly destroy our income fitting dark 20% film at the front which was never allowed anyway 35% Was excepted

When the ban was introduced I stuck to the rules and stopped tinting front roll downs,whilst still promoting tint.

All that happened was the firms I refer to above became busier at my expense,the ironic thing is that even when V O S A found out who was fitting film on the front they could not enforce the law.

This is allegedly a job for trading standards,well nothing came of that either.

Now I will only fit 56% film to the front,currently I am still losing work because the locals here have now reverted to fitting 35% film if I was an outsider I might find this funny from a distance.

This appears to be a vicous circle with no clear end in sight until a tinter is prosecuted.

My advice would be to only fit 50% or above if you hope to have an industry left in the near future.

What are your predictions for the future!!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally you need to be aware that this site is also being watched by VOSA.

Guest fimmo

VOSA = Vehicle Operator Service Agency

I've been tinting in the uk for over 3 years now and have been fitting 35% or 50% only to the front drops since the day I started,recently I only offer 50% but two weeks ago fife police cracked down hard on it ( caught 197 cars !llegally tinted in 3 days!)

I now tint legally and to be honest I feel better about it,yes, I lost some work in the first week (totally dried up :evileye ) but for some reason word got round and now I'm 100% busy!! booked up for the next 2 weeks???

I now only install 70% tint to the fronts even though the law states 70% net (I.e glass and tint measured together) the law still alllows you down to 45% because of the amount of cars going about with standard glass that measure below the 70% without added film!

the only time I use a disclaimer (so far 2) is when I tint a show car using leo's dartzfilmz or 35%/20% tint on the front sides but these cars are genuine show cars and not to be used on the public road so the law doesnt come into it,I issue a disclaimer in case the owner decides to take a spin on the public road when they know they shouldnt (by the way before I get flamed,therse cars in question are proper show cars,no road tax or m.o.t. certificate so they really are !llegal for road use!)

1 last thing- 50% tint means 50% of the light coming through the glass so if the glass is tinted to 80% as standard then adding 50% should roughly measure at 40% I just added 70% tint to my car and my windows now measure at 55.2% still within vosa guidelines of between 45% and 65% advisory only no prohibiton or removal needed!

be honest,totally upfront with the customer and yes you'll lose some jobs but you'll be very surprised at the amount of good people out there that go legal!! I have been!

Guest metint
Metint explained in a different thread that tint meters sometimes don't read exactly the same as percentage calculations would suggest because of reflections and differing wavelengths of light being involved.

[*]283404

Here's the results of a simple test I conducted:

Glass VLT = 85.8 Mitsubishi 3000 GT door glass

Sample 1 light blue/green film

Film VLT = 61

Film/glass light meter reading = 54.6

VLT'S multiplied 85.8 x 61 = 52.3

Sample 2 light charcoal film

Film VLT = 55

Film/glass light meter reading = 50.5

VLT'S multiplied 85.8 x 55 = 47.2

Sample 3

Film VLT = 73 light green film

Film/glass light meter reading = 61.9

VLT'S multiplied 85.8 x 73 = 62.6

Sample 4

Film VLT = 18 dark charcoal film

Film/glass light meter reading = 15.8

VLT'S multiplied 85.8 x 18 = 15.44

Sample 5

Film VLT = 31 deco blue film

Film/glass light meter reading = 19.6

VLT'S multiplied 85.8 x 31 = 26.6

As one might deduce by the actual numbers vs. calculated numbers above, color of product and shade may play a role in skewing light meter readings. :shock

Guest phase3
Metint explained in a different thread that tint meters sometimes don't read exactly the same as percentage calculations would suggest because of reflections and differing wavelengths of light being involved.

[*]283404

Film VLT = 61

Film VLT = 55

Sample 3

Sample 4

Sample 5

As one might deduce by the actual numbers vs. calculated numbers above, color of product and shade may play a role in skewing light meter readings. :shock

[*]283412

what do you say whne the insurance company tells your punter that his insurance is worth @#$% because his front windows have been tinted and the car is !llegal - by the way the accident he was involved in - somebody died - and some law firm is now looking to nail somebody for a load of cash- leave front windows as they come from the factory - no sleepless nights required!!

Guest metint

[*]283404

[*]283412

what do you say whne the insurance company tells your punter that his insurance is worth @#$% because his front windows have been tinted and the car is !llegal - by the way the accident he was involved in - somebody died - and some law firm is now looking to nail somebody for a load of cash- leave front windows as they come from the factory - no sleepless nights required!!

[*]283439

:shock:dunno

[*]283404

Film VLT = 61

Film VLT = 55

Sample 3

Sample 4

Sample 5

As one might deduce by the actual numbers vs. calculated numbers above, color of product and shade may play a role in skewing light meter readings. :spit

[*]283412

[*]283439

So what part of the world are you from?

I tried to follow that rule and the only people that benefited were the very idiots that created the situation.

So now what would you do when customers are enquiring by phone before even visiting the shop and the ones you do see are out and about the next week with tints you havent fitted :spit

And to make the situation even more ironic if you offer to fit 56% film they still end up round the corner at your new competitors shop who is cashing in.

I have tried the insurance and :gasp argument with the customers but the truth is that they really have no fear.and the rogue tinter is not afraid of any action being taken against them as this is not there core bussiness ,well until now :lol2

So a question for you after ten years only tinting cars should I shut up shop

And another question to all the English tinters what is your understanding of why the vlt level above 45% is relevant to VOSA

Archived